*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit mk7 starting problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit mk7 starting problem

Postby Alexl1981 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi guys i need some advice, been having problems starting my transit the last few months.

About 3 months ago I went to start the engine one afternoon and it just kept turning and wouldn't start I tried for ages then finally gave up, which seems odd since its always started up easily straight after turning the key. Tried again a few hours later, no luck.

Then next morning got in it turned the key and it started straight away, I then used it every day for the next 3 weeks with no problems at all until one day it would not start out side a customer's house I was parked on a hill so was able to bump start it.

And basically this has been happening frequently it works fine for 2 or 3 weeks then I get a day where I can't start it and after that it starts perfect for another couple of weeks.

Any ideas what could be the trouble ?
When it happens there's always plenty of diesel in the tank, the batteries are only a year old, there's fuel in the filter and fuel getting though the injectors. It turns fine just won't fire up no matter how long I try and the weathers always been mild/warm at the time.

If I bump start it, I'm then able to turn the engine off and start it with the key within minutes

I read somewhere it could be something to do with the voltage the starter motor is using? Any advice will be appricatied thanks
Alexl1981

Re: Transit mk7 starting problem

Postby v8dave » Sat May 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Mk7 can be a little temperamental if everything is not right.

If the volts at the starter are too low it will not turn over.

It could be a bad ignition switch.

When was the engine oil last changed ?
The engine has a crank position sensor and a cam position sensor.
If the timing chain has worn or if the chain tensioner is worn then the crank and cam can appear to be mis-timed and the power train control module will not turn the fuel injectors on. Old oil can make this worse.
It could also be that the signal from one of the position sensors is weak.

It could also be several other problems.

Best to get it checked with a code reader, this might reveal a problem. Also a good mechanic can look at the live data when the engine cranks and narrow down where the problem is.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Alexl1981 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Ok thanks, my friend is a mechanic he has already said he wiĺl plug it in and have a look when he has time.

The oil hasn't been changed in at least a year since I've had it there is a oil leak on the timing chain cover so i have been having to keep topping it up
Alexl1981

Postby ake » Sun May 07, 2017 5:51 pm

My guess is ignition switch, or crank sensor
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby andz327 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:59 pm

ake wrote:My guess is ignition switch, or crank sensor

Same as above, igy switch or c/s, you've had it a year and never done a oil change, could be worn Timing chain and tensioner no worky, so could be everything as above.....and you're bump starting it as well..... Hell mend yea

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions