*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Automatic Transmission Problem 2.4 Duratorq

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Automatic Transmission Problem 2.4 Duratorq

Postby Cerbera » Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 am

Hi all,

My first post on the forum and I hope I'm not repeating previous questions!

I've recently purchased a motorhome built on a 2006 transit (Mk6 I believe).

The van was sold as a 2.5 diesel, but I've since discovered that it is in fact a 2.4TD Duratorq (T90) with a D2FA engine - good news for me!

The problem I have is with the automatic transmission. There are numerous issues cropping up with it:

1 - When cresting hills in 3rd (and 4th) the transmission doesn't kick up to the next gear on the flat and sits bouncing off the rev limiter. The only way to remedy this is either to take your foot of the accelerator which "sometimes" results in selection of the next gear, or often by switching to manual and making the change.

2 - When slowing to a junction it leaves changing down the gear incredibly late - you can practically be stationary and it'll still be in 4th or 5th before it "jolts" down through the gears. On one occasion it actually crunched the clutch on the gear changes!!

3 - On three occasions now it has "lost" a gear. Most recently it believed that there was no first gear so I had to pull off in 2nd, on another occasion it just skipped 3rd and wouldn't select it. I seemed to be able to fix this by selecting neutral on the dash and then reengaging the gears.

My own guess is that the transmission computer is knackered, by I'm not expert on this and I've never owned a transit before.

Can anyone advise if this is a familiar list of issues and what the cause and potential remedies may be?

Many thanks,

Tim in NZ
Cerbera

Re: Automatic Transmission Problem 2.4 Duratorq

Postby dka » Sun May 21, 2017 12:18 am

Mates it's probably going to be the main high pressure pump on the transmission, these things are notorious for this
If you can find anybody to do the work just convert it to a stick shift full manual, they have a MT75 gearbox which is a full manual box already just with all the pumps and computers attached
Its a bit of work involved but nothing to drastic, obvious things you'd need to source would be pedal box, gear stick , steering wheel although not essential, a different PCM with the same software and of course somebody with IDS to program PCM
I'm sure you'd be able to source a whole van fairly cheap and just take out the parts needed and sell off the rest
dka
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Sun May 21, 2017 1:18 pm

These are not autoboxes, but are "auto shifting manual" boxes.
As said above, they are notoriously hard to fix when they go wrong, and there is very little in the way of knowledge about them, most of the stuff posted on here has come from our Australian members where they are more common than in the UK.

Try typing the words "ASM gearbox" and "Auto Shifting Manual Gearbox" in the search box at the top of the forum, and see if there's anything there that helps you, forum member 'samwhich' posted a lot of stuff about ASM problems a year or so back (maybe longer!)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ITECH » Fri May 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Did you sort this out?

I’ve learnt more than I ever wanted to know re the ASM boxes as zero knowledgeable support in NZ.

Currently in process of converting mine to fully manual.
2002 LWB Hi-Roof ASM 90 (New Zealand)
ITECH

Postby MLR » Thu May 31, 2018 12:35 am

we offer new replacement ASM motors if you are interested which is what typically fails, contact at rob20v@gmail.com
MLR

Return to Technical Problems & Questions