*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK6 and LED trailer board Issues

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

MK6 and LED trailer board Issues

Postby wicklabilly » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi esteemed Tranny pilots, :D

I have bought 2 new LED trailer boards which when plugged into my old Isuzu pickup work perfectly, correct flash rate for the winkers, tail lights work as do the brake lights etc.

Now when I plug either of these 2 into my MK6 Transit the brake lights will briefly flash on then off when the pedal is depressed and held down, the indicators only flash 2 LED's instead of the 4, and the tail lights do not work at all. If I switch on the hazards then each winker flashes 2 LED's (again not the 4 as it should) but if I depress the brake pedal at the same time then the winkers on the trailer board stop working altogether and no brake lights illuminate.

I have fitted a new trailer socket to the Transit, then traced it's wiring harness back to where it is spliced into the Transits loom and found it was damp so I cut out the corroded scotch block connectors and soldered up all the connections and used heat shrink on each joint and I still have the same fault with the trailer board :!:

I have tried the search function and can only find issues with MK7 Transits fitted with LED trailer boards.

I seek enlightenment please and thank you :wink:
2002 Yella Transit Crew cab Tipper. T350 120 bhp Fairly clean and literally no chassis rust. 2011 MK7 crew cab Transit tipper. T350 115PS Euro 4
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: MK6 and LED trailer board Issues

Postby andz327 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:09 pm

wicklabilly wrote:Hi esteemed Tranny pilots, :D

I have bought 2 new LED trailer boards which when plugged into my old Isuzu pickup work perfectly, correct flash rate for the winkers, tail lights work as do the brake lights etc.

Now when I plug either of these 2 into my MK6 Transit the brake lights will briefly flash on then off when the pedal is depressed and held down, the indicators only flash 2 LED's instead of the 4, and the tail lights do not work at all. If I switch on the hazards then each winker flashes 2 LED's (again not the 4 as it should) but if I depress the brake pedal at the same time then the winkers on the trailer board stop working altogether and no brake lights illuminate.

I have fitted a new trailer socket to the Transit, then traced it's wiring harness back to where it is spliced into the Transits loom and found it was damp so I cut out the corroded scotch block connectors and soldered up all the connections and used heat shrink on each joint and I still have the same fault with the trailer board :!:

I have tried the search function and can only find issues with MK7 Transits fitted with LED trailer boards.

I seek enlightenment please and thank you :wink:

Recheck your wiring to the socket, make sure it's earthing properly (white wire), shouldn't have any bother as I run led light board on my mk6 and now mk7 with no probs

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wicklabilly » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:26 pm

Ok andz327 I will check that out. Cheers K.
2002 Yella Transit Crew cab Tipper. T350 120 bhp Fairly clean and literally no chassis rust. 2011 MK7 crew cab Transit tipper. T350 115PS Euro 4
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:30 am

wicklabilly wrote:Ok andz327 I will check that out. Cheers K.

How'd you get on mate

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wicklabilly » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:53 pm

andz327 wrote:

How'd you get on mate

andZ3 Sony Z3

Hello there, i'll be looking into it tomorrow and will update ya accordingly. Thanks, Ken :D
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wicklabilly » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:50 am

andz327 wrote:

How'd you get on mate

andZ3 Sony Z3

True to your word! thanks very much for the help. :D
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:40 am

Was it White (earth) wire problem??

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wicklabilly » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:43 am

andz327 wrote:Was it White (earth) wire problem??

andZ3 Sony Z3

It sure was :!: I stripped the tow bar wiring harness back to find it had been contorted / strained due to the way it was routed and the result was the white wire was literally hanging on by a 'copper thread'. I removed that old harness and soldered in a new one, stripped out the van tail lights and cleaned up the contact points real good and applied dielectric grease to protect it in the long term. Thanks for the head up as it helped me find the confidence to tackle the electrics :wink: Gotta say i do loike me Transit.
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:24 am

wicklabilly wrote:
andz327 wrote:Was it White (earth) wire problem??

andZ3 Sony Z3

It sure was :!: I stripped the tow bar wiring harness back to find it had been contorted / strained due to the way it was routed and the result was the white wire was literally hanging on by a 'copper thread'. I removed that old harness and soldered in a new one, stripped out the van tail lights and cleaned up the contact points real good and applied dielectric grease to protect it in the long term. Thanks for the head up as it helped me find the confidence to tackle the electrics :wink: Gotta say i do loike me Transit.

Transit owning seem to be a love hate thing lol, glad you're sorted
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions