*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Boost pipes upgraded and fault code issues on Custom

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Boost pipes upgraded and fault code issues on Custom

Postby craighy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi all

My 2015 fwd Custom has previously had the following mods without issue:

Hard pipe induction tube from hose off turbo across to drivers side headlight and cone filter

Remapped with DPF removed

2.5" throttle side boost pipe along with a massive front mount intercooler

Van had a noticeable improvement in power after intercooler and pipework upgrade as they were the most recent mods.

At the weekend I fitted turbo side hard pipe that is 2.5" from turbo to cooler without the stupid silencer thingy and reduced the length of induction pipe with cone filter now at the passengers side

The van revs free and drives great for 5 minutes before going into limp mode and showing code P00BD "Mass or Volume Air Flow 'A' Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too High

Obviously I know what is causing the issue but my question is does anyone know a way to either trick the system or can a mapper adjust the set limits the ECU looks for?

The performance gain is enough to justify wanting to find a fix rather than just stick the tiny stock hose back in

Thanks for looking
craighy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Boost pipes upgraded and fault code issues on Custom

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:40 am

craighy wrote:Hi all

My 2015 fwd Custom has previously had the following mods without issue:

Hard pipe induction tube from hose off turbo across to drivers side headlight and cone filter

Remapped with DPF removed

2.5" throttle side boost pipe along with a massive front mount intercooler

Van had a noticeable improvement in power after intercooler and pipework upgrade as they were the most recent mods.

At the weekend I fitted turbo side hard pipe that is 2.5" from turbo to cooler without the stupid silencer thingy and reduced the length of induction pipe with cone filter now at the passengers side

The van revs free and drives great for 5 minutes before going into limp mode and showing code P00BD "Mass or Volume Air Flow 'A' Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too High

Obviously I know what is causing the issue but my question is does anyone know a way to either trick the system or can a mapper adjust the set limits the ECU looks for?

The performance gain is enough to justify wanting to find a fix rather than just stick the tiny stock hose back in

Thanks for looking

A decent "mapper" might be able to help with the air flow issue...but you'll not pass your next MOT without the DPF.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm not sure that a map will solve the issue of more air being pumped than the motor is using, I'd be looking for a boost side leak.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby craighy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

I have resolved the issue by installing the stock air box and pipework while keeping the full 2.5" boost pipe install

The issue was in my opinion due to ecu seeing the higher intake volume rather than loosing air so not boost leaking as would normally be the cause of this code

At least i still have maximun flow and the coolest boosted air entering the engine possible so I'll try running a k&n panel filter with air box next

Still a huge improvement in the way the van pulls thought the revs in every gear and I'd recommend doing pipework 100%

Cheers guys
craighy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:50 am

craighy wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

I have resolved the issue by installing the stock air box and pipework while keeping the full 2.5" boost pipe install

The issue was in my opinion due to ecu seeing the higher intake volume rather than loosing air so not boost leaking as would normally be the cause of this code

At least i still have maximun flow and the coolest boosted air entering the engine possible so I'll try running a k&n panel filter with air box next

Still a huge improvement in the way the van pulls thought the revs in every gear and I'd recommend doing pipework 100%

Cheers guys

None of this will help at your next MOT though....no DPF = Fail..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby craighy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:51 am

knobby1 wrote:
craighy wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers guys

None of this will help at your next MOT though....no DPF = Fail..!

Lord Knobrot

My vans only 6 months old, I'm as worried about my mot in two and a half years as i am about the fact I've modified well beyond the point of making any warranty i had completely void

:lol:
craighy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Wadey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:07 pm

How have you removed the Dpf?
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sloteg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Any pictures of your pipework mate and the intake setup you had? My warranty runs out in about 4 months when I tick over 100,000km so I plan on getting stuck into the mods.
sloteg
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby craighy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:03 am

The intercooler and most of the 2.5" alloy pipework was a kit that came on classic impreza wrx i own.

I welded mounts and bought silicone bends as required and flaired the ends when I chopped the hard pipe kit.

I have made a focus rs mk3 bumper fit my van though so I don't know if this will be the same fit on a stock bumper

I made the intake from stainless steel and flat plate for the maf sensor to mount onto then bought a ram air cone filter off eBay to fit the maximum space in engine bay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
craighy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby craighy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:04 am

Wadey wrote:How have you removed the Dpf?

It was cut and internals removed then welded up again when it was mapped
craighy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby S60r » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:41 am

Nice job indeed.

Ignore all the nay sayers... the van will sail through its MOT without issue. I know of plenty of DPF less vehicles that pass smoke and emission tests year after year.

I'd love to drive yours to compare it to mine. If there is a great improvement I would definitely copy you. I have the k&n and remap, the DPF and EGR will go down the line with another map.

Love the look of that bumper and DRL set up from the focus..... top job.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Custom