*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil leak on a Lwb 04 reg

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Oil leak on a Lwb 04 reg

Postby man with can » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:08 pm

I bought a van the other day long wheel base 2.4ltr 04 reg transit, ive had for only 2 days and there are oils spots all over the drive!!!
im worried ive bought a shed. all of the undercarrige of the enginge and into the middle of the van.
the engine doesnt have a nocking sound but does 3000rpm in 5th gear at 70mph which seems a little high and seems to struggle (very loud)
if pics are needed i can upload. bad news or good news any advice is welcome !!!!!!!
man with can

Re: Oil leak on a Lwb 04 reg

Postby ake » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:56 pm

man with can wrote:I bought a van the other day long wheel base 2.4ltr 04 reg transit, ive had for only 2 days and there are oils spots all over the drive!!!
im worried ive bought a shed. all of the undercarrige of the enginge and into the middle of the van.
the engine doesnt have a nocking sound but does 3000rpm in 5th gear at 70mph which seems a little high and seems to struggle (very loud)
if pics are needed i can upload. bad news or good news any advice is welcome !!!!!!!

3000 revs at 70 is correct.

Wash oil off then see where it reappears so you can find and fix leak
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby toppetsaha » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 am

after a few years of owning transits i finally bought one yesterday that doesn't have an oil leak, i wouldn't worry about it if its not major.
MK1 - Camper project
MK6 2.4 75ps
MK7 2.4 100ps
toppetsaha
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 am

toppetsaha wrote:i finally bought one yesterday that doesn't have an oil leak

I'll believe that when I see it :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

I think Ford has a part number for the oil leaks.... :roll:

Although..mine doesn't leak...I'm sure that'll change in the future though.

I'll get me coat.. :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby man with can » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:00 pm

ake wrote:
man with can wrote:I bought a van the other day long wheel base 2.4ltr 04 reg transit, ive had for only 2 days and there are oils spots all over the drive!!!

3000 revs at 70 is correct.

Wash oil off then see where it reappears so you can find and fix leak

cheers guys. im getting the under carrige jet washed on thursday to see where its coming from, been told its either the oil filter or the sills, the oil filter is very wet to the touch and its roughly 3 spots of oil everyday the largest spot is around 8cm with a small surface area of oil in the middle about 3ml hi and 1 cm wide
man with can

Postby man with can » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:54 pm

toppetsaha wrote:after a few years of owning transits i finally bought one yesterday that doesn't have an oil leak, i wouldn't worry about it if its not major.

hi ive been told it may be something to do with the crankshaft as the leak is behind the engine by the gear box. not sounding good. you have any ball park figures for the price to fix
man with can

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 am

man with can wrote:
toppetsaha wrote:after a few years of owning transits i finally bought one yesterday that doesn't have an oil leak, i wouldn't worry about it if its not major.

hi ive been told it may be something to do with the crankshaft as the leak is behind the engine by the gear box. not sounding good. you have any ball park figures for the price to fix

"If" it is the "Rear Main" ....it's a gearbox out job...might want to look at the clutch too whilst the box is out. Clutch has to come out anyway to do the seal.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions