*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

new engine cost for 2008vm transit.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

new engine cost for 2008vm transit.

Postby Rockman1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Hey peeps

Wondering how much it will cost for a new long engine + turbo and labour for changeover?
Van is a 2008 vm, 6speed, 2.4L turbo diesel.

Cheers.
Rockman1
Rockman1

Re: new engine cost for 2008vm transit.

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Rockman1 wrote:Hey peeps

Wondering how much it will cost for a new long engine + turbo and labour for changeover?
Van is a 2008 vm, 6speed, 2.4L turbo diesel.

Cheers.
Rockman1

Probably more than the whole van is worth.....what's actually wrong with it??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Rockman1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 am

Heres the history; Pulled over on the side of highway after a loss of power and blowing heaps of black smoke.
Switched the vehicle of though engine kept going and revved its ring out till the turbo blew up and smoke/flame come out.
Had turbo changed after this at 53,000kms. Before this incident it seemed to be dropping oil and still continues to. Though Ive been unable to find where its going. Noticed that it has less power since the turbo was fitted.

Now its at 83,000kms and
Last week had issues with the EGR unit getting stuck open.
Pulled over immediety and oil was super low.
Replaced faulty battery, had cleaner put through EGR cleaner thr Replaced oil and oil filter.

Vehicle is drivable now. Though turbo is making alot of noise. Defintely need it looked at. Engine light has come on again think there may be an issue with the cooling system. Engine seems to be running hot. Has a lot of blowback too.
Rockman1

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:43 pm

You do indeed have issues...

Whereabouts are you..??

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:28 am

When original turbo broke engine oil was running into the cylinders and being used as fuel, thats how engine wouldn't stop, unfortunately if you dont put in gear and jump on brakes and let clutch up to stall it right away your engine would run dry of oil damaging it internally and more than likely the piston ring were badly damaged so it will be down on compression, down on power and blowing oil past the rings and oot the exhaust, new bare engine is around £2500

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:47 am

andz327 wrote:When original turbo broke engine oil was running into the cylinders and being used as fuel, thats how engine wouldn't stop, unfortunately if you dont put in gear and jump on brakes and let clutch up to stall it right away your engine would run dry of oil damaging it internally and more than likely the piston ring were badly damaged so it will be down on compression, down on power and blowing oil past the rings and oot the exhaust, new bare engine is around £2500

andZ3 Sony Z3

Just had quick look at tpuk and I think they've only got reconditioned, and low mileage engines but its not going to be cheap whatever way you go mate, you could probably buy a newer van cheaper I'm afraid... Not good

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:16 am

andz327 wrote:Just had quick look at tpuk and I think they've only got reconditioned, and low mileage engines but its not going to be cheap whatever way you go mate, you could probably buy a newer van cheaper I'm afraid... Not good andZ3 Sony Z3

Judging by his use of VM and kms...I'm guessing he's not in the UK...possibly Aus..?? So getting an engine from the UK would be prohibitive, even if just from a shipping point of view.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:36 am

knobby1 wrote:
andz327 wrote:Just had quick look at tpuk and I think they've only got reconditioned, and low mileage engines but its not going to be cheap whatever way you go mate, you could probably buy a newer van cheaper I'm afraid... Not good andZ3 Sony Z3

Judging by his use of VM and kms...I'm guessing he's not in the UK...possibly Aus..?? So getting an engine from the UK would be prohibitive, even if just from a shipping point of view.

Lord Knobrot

OUCH thats worse sir, rebuild it for him, give yourself something to pass the time with

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:10 am

andz327 wrote:OUCH thats worse sir, rebuild it for him, give yourself something to pass the time with andZ3 Sony Z3

Ppppffffftttt...like I've got nowt else to do.. :wink: I can definitely help him out if he's fairly local to me....but Australia is a pretty big place, might all be moot if he isn't in Aus.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions