*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Crank Pin hole location!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Crank Pin hole location!

Postby damoyoung » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Simple question really, (where does the crank pin locate on the flywheel), but before answering, here's the background.

I'm working on a 2.4, TDDI, Duratorq engine. I cannot comment on the year as it's a replacement engine.

It appeared at first that the pump timing solenoid was faulty due to a knocking engine, running rough with no power.

The timing solenoid was changed, but the problem remained.

I then inspected the timing chain. It was slack and the tensioner was at full reach, thus not tensioning said chain. It was slapping all over the shop.

I locked the crank with a 14mm pin. (Read drill bit).

The timing to the cams was at least one tooth out, if not two, so was the pump, so I suspected the chain had jumped the crank sprocket by a tooth or two.

Don't ask me how the engine ran, I don't know!

I was more concerned with whether I had pegged the crank correctly, but as I was no going to fit a new chain and tensioner, I thought nothing more of it.

With the new chain and tensioner fitted. The engine now does not start. (Why do I get all the problem engines?).

I'm currently trying to work out whether I have got the 14mm pin in the correct place on the flywheel as it appears that I have made the problem worse.

I simply suspect engine damage, but want to rule out any wrong doing before I pull the head off.

From what I have observed whilst replacing the chain are the following:

The torq bolt in the crank pulley mount is at the '10.30am' location and exactly 3.5 teeth off 12pm, so I know I am not 180 degrees out at least and I have been searching forums and reading all I can!

The pin drops about an inch into the flywheel via the crank sensor hole, it only does this in two places on the flywheel, 180 degrees apart.

Counting the sensor pickup teeth, by feel, using the pin in the sensor hole, I can count 16 short teeth, 1 long tooth, another short tooth and the hole where the pin drops. It only drops in this hole, it catches on the other teeth, but doesn't locate. This is for 180 degrees of the flywheel, it then repeats the pattern for the other 180 degrees of the flywheel.

From my reasoning, I believe the pin is in the correct hole otherwise, why would that hole be there and why would the pin drop and locate?

This is all I know, so my question is this:

'am I dropping the crank timing pin in the correct place on the flywheel?'

My guess and from what I have read on the forums, is that the 14mm pin should locate in the 14mm hole designed for it and that I find this hole by bringing the first piston to 50 degrees off top dead centre.

Now I have not, tested to see if the first piston is at 50 degrees before top dead centre before trying to locate the pin.

I haven't done this, because from what I have read, if the torq bolt on the crank pulley pin/mount is at 10.30am and therefore 3.5 teeth off 12pm and due to the fact the pin only drops into one hole with at least 5 teeth either side, I should be in the right place.

If I don't find a definitive answer over the weekend, I am going to pull the first injector / glow plug and grab a protractor!

Currently, the engine 'appears' to be timed correctly, although it does not start- hence my question on the forum today.

It sounds as if the timing is out as the engine chugs and smokes without correctly firing.

If the timing is correct, I suspect engine damage, due to the original chain jumping at least one tooth.

Here's hoping someone has been through my scenario before with better results and a good understanding!

Thanks for reading.
damoyoung

Re: Crank Pin hole location!

Postby Punto443 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Take it you replaced the crank sensor? Have you checked for any fault codes?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby andz327 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:55 am

Or at least made sure sensor is pushed in far enough

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby amlav » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:08 am

andz327 wrote:Or at least made sure sensor is pushed in far enough

andZ3 Sony Z3

Yep . Drop the sensor in till it hits the flywheel than pull it up just bit and secure it .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:52 am

Good chance you've pulled it oot to far, I've re-used these sensors loads of times and when I've done same as you, van doesn't start, then just slacken bolt and where it sits I nip it up and starts every time,
Most times these damage tappet ladder and cam carrier, you can tell sometimes by taking oil filler spout off and with a 10mm spanner see if any bolts are slack through the oil filler hole, if slack it means the actual threaded bolt hole has cracked and there will be more damage

andZ3 Sony Z3
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions