*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

van broken into - new lock options

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

van broken into - new lock options

Postby markfenton99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:05 am

my 2014 Custom was broken into last night, nothing taken as there is nothing to take unless you need some dog blankets and a water bowl.
The drivers door lock was forced and needs to be replaced. Is it worth upgrading to a better lock or does this just mean they butcher the doors to get in. My bodywork is in top condition and I want to keep it that way so I'm not sure if it would be an advantage

I never carry tools in the van, it's used for dog transport, camping and carrying display equipment. I've thought about putting a notice on it saying "Dog transit vehicle, no tools in van" etc. Has anyone done this, does it make any difference?
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: van broken into - new lock options

Postby bigjohnthomas » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 am

"No tools in van"? Got be something worth robbing in there then
dogs in it with no windows in the back ?
I've got Windows in the back you can see there's f ook all in it
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beaker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:53 am

markfenton99 wrote:my 2014 Custom was broken into last night, nothing taken as there is nothing to take unless you need some dog blankets and a water bowl.
The drivers door lock was forced and needs to be replaced. Is it worth upgrading to a better lock or does this just mean they butcher the doors to get in. My bodywork is in top condition and I want to keep it that way so I'm not sure if it would be an advantage

I never carry tools in the van, it's used for dog transport, camping and carrying display equipment. I've thought about putting a notice on it saying "Dog transit vehicle, no tools in van" etc. Has anyone done this, does it make any difference?

Get a Garrison Hykee lock like this - I've fitted one in mine:

http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/van-locks-and-security-products/transit-hykee-lock-upgrade

Straight replacement for existing lock, dead easy to fit and your remote locking/unlocking is not altered in any way.

Of course that may mean the scumbags will walk on by, or it may mean they will not try to get in the drivers door but will turn their attention to the side or rear doors instead.

A sign like you suggest may make a difference, or they might decide it's a decoy tactic and there MUST be something worth nicking inside. Who knows what goes on in their heads.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby markfenton99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am

Cheers Beaker, I'll look into one of those locks.
I know what you are saying about the sign, I'm not sure myself which is why I haven't done it yet. Maybe something more subtle. I see people at shows with "flyball dogs in transit" which may be better. It's just frustrating that the van only has a dog cage, dog blankets, a few leads and two camping chairs in it. Nothing of value to nick. I might consider fitting a window as Big John Thomas mentioned.
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby markfenton99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 am

Looks like the Garrison locks are a popular upgrade, currently 4 weeks wait for stock due to demand
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Beaker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:49 pm

Well the Hykee lock will slow them down or put them off if they are trying to steal the van.

If they are after the van's contents the favoured technique at the moment is the "peel and steal" (google it) on the side loading door, and that will definately make a mess of your pristine bodywork. No drivers door lock in the world will prevent this method of attack.

As BJT mentioned, a window in the side door at least will mean that any low-lifes can easily see your van is empty, and will probably (hopefully) deter against a peel and steal - still possible but they would risk getting showered with broken glass.

The other thing that is happening increasingly commonly is that thieves are getting in via the drivers door with a TIBBE lock pick, plugging a device into the OBD socket and reading the immobiliser data. Now they have your key code as well as your immobiliser code. Then they walk away only to return later after getting a key cut with the correct immobiliser transponder programmed. They can then just open the door, start the engine and drive away.

On that basis the Hykee lock is still probably a good idea - oh, and hide your OBD socket too!
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Sorry, ignore that last bit about TIBBE locks, they were on the Mk6 and Mk7. The Custom has different locks.

Should have read your first post properly!

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby markfenton99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm waiting to hear from the locksmith on how soon they can fit a hykee so that will hopefully be sorted soon.
I've priced up a clear side window, is this an easy thing to fit?
what can be done re the ODB socket? can these be easily hidden? I've heard of people removing them, how does that work if they are needed at a later date?
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:48 pm

No need to remove it. Take out the fixing screws, unclip the wiring, and move the OBD to somewhere up under the dash that's not easy to get to quickly. For maximum effect, buy a dummy obd , and fit it it the normal place :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby markfenton99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Altransit wrote:No need to remove it. Take out the fixing screws, unclip the wiring, and move the OBD to somewhere up under the dash that's not easy to get to quickly. For maximum effect, buy a dummy obd , and fit it it the normal place :D

excellent, I like it
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Glass in the back doors
Dane sticker on the door
And a sh*t related number plate should stop the f*** :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby markfenton99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:44 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:Glass in the back doors
Dane sticker on the door

Ha Ha, I like it
I may put a sticker up saying "warning, van contains tripe"
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:09 pm

:lol: :lol:
mmmmmmmmm tripe :P
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby markfenton99 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:Glass in the back doors
Dane sticker on the door

I like the look of your tinted windows and have thought about it but do they allow thieves to see inside? I was thinking I would have to fit a clear window to get any benefit of glass versus panel
markfenton99
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:27 pm

you can see through them just put your head up to it
but i do have a small hole in the bulkhead that lets light in
if you just did one side door its £85 in privacy plus a fitting kit or 75 in green
+25 for a fitting kit
jigsaw with a metal blade and a decent tube gun thing
bish bosh half an hour job

https://www.vanwindowsdirect.co.uk/cate ... OM-2013-ON
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions