*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Something amiss with the cooling system

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Something amiss with the cooling system

Postby dblL » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:06 am

So I've happened upon a '96 transit.
Went to look at it one week, picked it up the next... I drove it home to Derbyshire from Birmingham.
Got home (85miles) and realised itd got no coolant (well, it had, when squidgying the pipes it'd pump through to the res, so some in system, just nowhere near full). Immediately I go and pick up some coolant. Fill it up. Leave engine running a while. Notice there's seepage from the coolant housing. Not peeing out, just seeping.
Fast forward a few days, I drove it up and down a nat speed road, just to give it a run out, eyeball the coolant & refuel. No issue.
Fast forward to yday, I had an errand, so drove it to the mother's to give it a good run (21miles).
A definite seepage from coolant housing, but has made very little difference to coolant levels, a millimetre if that. So I'm thinking, woman I got the van from has been running it low/empty for some time & not noticed as if it was peeing from someplace after a 42mile in total journey to the mothers and back it'd have been low again.
Just replace the Thermostat and housing I hear you say??
Here comes the concerning bit. After the 21miles run to my mothers, 2hours later after she'd plied me with food & , told me about myself etc, under the bonnet was still warm.
Then I took it the 21miles back home and popped the bonnet (again to check coolant), coolant hardly moved, but everything was SO hot to touch, like an oven, all of the coolant pipes where scorching.
The temp gauge needle inside the cab had risen from stone cold, creeping up a 1/4 into the 'normal' range as I was driving and I would imagine would continue to rise as I drove. Never offered to go into the 'hot' or 'red'.
So my immediate worry - headgasket. My secondary worry should it not be headgasket, is at these temps, is it soon will be...
I know the cooling system has so many parts to it, it could literally be anything. Thermostat, housing, radiator, fan switch, water pump, a fuse... Could the seepage from the Thermostat be the reason under the hood is so hot?? Something so tiny??
My usual (trusted) mechanic is away for the week and then can't get me in til 28th.
I'd really have liked to get out before then but obvs don't want to risk it.
If I'm taking it to a new mechanic I don't know/trust, where do I start with asking them to look??
There's none of the usual signs of head gasket failure, no white smoke in exhaust, no milky residue in oil... What do you all think??
Also, the heaters in the cab are dicky, related?
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Something amiss with the cooling system

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:21 am

They do run quite hot.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dblL » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 am

I have found more of a leak! Let's call it a puddle...
Looks as if it could be the waterpump. I pray!! Annoying, but better than the dreaded.
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 am

If you're changing the water pump due to a leak, replacing the timing belt is a must :wink:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby dblL » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Altransit wrote:If you're changing the water pump due to a leak, replacing the timing belt is a must :wink:

That was the first thing I booked in prior to even driving her home!! :D
Though it's looking like I'm going to have to do it all a bit backwards now as mechanic can't get me in 'til 30th, but a friend can do pump & thermostat etc as soon as I give the nod... :roll: typical how things work out!!
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Why can't he do the belt, it's about 10 minutes extra work if you're doing the pump :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby dblL » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Couldn't get hold of the part locally. But not to worry, booked in at garage weds for cambelt, pump, thermostat & housing. The leak is coming from the waterpump housing so I'm guessing I'll also be needing a gasket or seal or something if its coming from the pump housing?
I'm still paranoid I've fried the head... How would I know? The usual white smoke, water in oil, fizzing in radiator? Hmm... Hope it's not an expensive fix. It's a 'p' reg, so I'd hoped just to keep make do and mending til I can no longer.
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dblL » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:30 am

Just incase anyone cares ... This is a pic of where the leak appears to be coming from. 'X' marks the spot - and the circle is where it all seems to accumulate before it puddles onto the floor... ROLL ON WEDNESDAY!! :roll:

dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby amlav » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 am

Looking at your picture it seems like engine oil markings on the mount and block . Doesn't look to drastic but if you worried than it may be from crankshaft seal or sump seal or timing cover seal . All seals can become hard in years and loose elasticity .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dblL » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Well. Incase anyone is having the same issue or might find this post and it be what they're looking for... It was the water pump causing the worst of the leak and also a minor leak from the thermostat housing.

Garage haven done a water pump change, cam belt, thermostat, thermostat housing and oil and filter. No change out of 450quid.

Still leaking slightly from thermo housing... They've also greased up the water pump housing to the high heavens, anyone know why they'd do that??? I'm totally baffled???
Cba to take it back cos to be honest dealing with the mechanic at this garage is like dealing with a bear with a sore head.

Also they've put a nice big hole in my front cross member where the radiator brackets sit. It was obviously getting a bit rotten and they'd been heavy handed dropping the radiator out to get to the pump/cambelt.
Looks like some welding will be needed before next mot then :evil:
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions