*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Transit Glow Plugs. Cold starting

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Ford Transit Glow Plugs. Cold starting

Postby Only4Wheels » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi,

I have a Ford Transit 1997 Turbo Diesel. I'm not sure if it is a VG model or not. Is there a way to find out? The engine is a 4EBV?
Does this model have glow plugs? The manual says it does, but a mechanic can't locate them. The manual seems to be written for a number of models so perhaps mine doesn't. I have never seen a glow plug light luminate.

I have occasionally been having trouble starting the car where it cranks over slowly, speeds up and then starts, especially when cold. Today it started within 1 second, it was a warm day, so it is random. It is cold here at the moment and the only thing the manual advised is to depress the clutch and accelerator fully to start in cold weather. Also to wait until the glow plug light goes out (it says it laminates if it is under 10deg c).
Any thoughts?
Only4Wheels
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Ford Transit Glow Plugs. Cold starting

Postby Altransit » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:06 pm

None of the Di engines have glow plugs, just the later TDDi and TDCI engines fitted from year 2000 onwards (Mk6 Mk7).
There are a few models of yours (Mk5) equipped with a flame start, but that was for colder climates, so I don't think that you qualify 8) :P :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ake » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:40 pm

As said they never ever had glow plugs.

Your problems sound more like either a tired starter, tired battery, bad battery or earth lead connection or sh*t mechanic.

How olds the timing belt?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Only4Wheels » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 am

The timing belt is 60k old with 40k to go before next replacement.

Thanks for the starting tips.

I replaced the battery which has helped. But I think that the old one wore out due to excessive cranking at times.
Once doing that and taking more notice of the starting. I have had some instances where the engine was warm and in some cases it starts within 1 second, other times within 15 seconds. The sound of the starting seems as strong each time. So I am thinking of ruling out electrical or starting issues.
I'm no mechanic but it is almost as if it is taking time to pump the diesel into the engine and other times it is available right away. Because the cranking seems fine
Only4Wheels
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Only4Wheels » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:41 am

Altransit wrote:None of the Di engines have glow plugs, just the later TDDi and TDCI engines fitted from year 2000 onwards (Mk6 Mk7).
There are a few models of yours (Mk5) equipped with a flame start, but that was for colder climates, so I don't think that you qualify 8) :P :D

Thank You
Only4Wheels
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 am

Only4Wheels wrote:

The timing belt is 60k old with 40k to go before next replacement.

Thanks for the starting tips.

I replaced the battery which has helped. But I think that the old one wore out due to excessive cranking at times.
Once doing that and taking more notice of the starting. I have had some instances where the engine was warm and in some cases it starts within 1 second, other times within 15 seconds. The sound of the starting seems as strong each time. So I am thinking of ruling out electrical or starting issues.
I'm no mechanic but it is almost as if it is taking time to pump the diesel into the engine and other times it is available right away. Because the cranking seems fine

You need to change the t belt now .Belts had a habit in breaking before the change interval of 50 k :wink: I changed many at 30 k and some didn't even make it that far :shock: A new Ford, Dayco belt (same thing :wink:) will do 50 k plus easily :) Actually never seen one break :) I always left the old the original tensioner in place too :idea: Modified one is too flimsy imo.Ps 50 k= miles :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Only4Wheels » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:55 am

I forgot to mention I was talking kilometres not miles so 60k miles is about 100k kilometres which is what the handbook says is the timing belt service interval.
Only4Wheels
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:26 am

How old is said belt? There's a revised service mileage and time period.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:35 pm

My Epic broke genuine belts twice, both well before 50k miles
They are also known to stretch. Lots of Epic problems come back to the timing belt
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions