*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Why have they greased my water pump housing? Pic. Not happy!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Why have they greased my water pump housing? Pic. Not happy!

Postby dblL » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 am

See other thread... Been having some coolant issues. Found it was leaking from the water pump housing - which I'm told is the 'weep hole' & a sure fire sign the waterpump needs replacing.
So booked in for a cambelt/waterpump change anyway and told the garage to sort out any further issue with any leaks. Thermostat was leaking, so got that replaced as well as the housing too.
The van is a P-reg, so no new motor!
Got it back yesterday. Thermostat is STILL leaking ever so slightly around the housing & seems to have been sealed with a thin cover of sealant.
And they've put a nice big hole in a front crossmember being heavy handed with the attached radiator.... But that's separate I guess to the grease around the water pump housing... Why??? Why is there so much grease???
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Why have they greased my water pump housing? Pic. Not ha

Postby dblL » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 am

Sorry, dicky link... Click to make larger!

Pic:

dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ABA » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:55 pm

did they charge you for a new water pump
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby twin wheel camper » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:17 pm

dblL wrote:Sorry, dicky link... Click to make larger!

Pic:

That's the cambelt cover they would of needed to remove that to fit timing belt and water pump and maybe broke it when talking it off and put that crud onto it to try and hide the cracks on the cover :!:
I'd clean it off and look for damage.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dblL » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:06 pm

ABA wrote:did they charge you for a new water pump

Yep
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dblL » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

twin wheel camper wrote:
dblL wrote:Sorry, dicky link... Click to make larger!

Pic:

That's the cambelt cover they would of needed to remove that to fit timing belt and water pump and maybe broke it when talking it off and put that crud onto it to try and hide the cracks on the cover :!:
I'd clean it off and look for damage.

Ahh right, total novice here. Hmm... Seems odd... Wouldn't suprise me though considering the pigeon sh** spot weld they've done to JUST about address one side of the hole theyve made in the cross member. What's the upshot of a cracked cambelt housing?

Plucked up the courage to call them and ask what they've done -- angry red mechanic tells me the original was damaged & so they replaced it with a 'spare' and the grease is off of the lorry it came off of. Sure thing, cos every lorry needs THAT amount of grease on what I now know is a cambelt housing :evil: :roll:
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby twin wheel camper » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:38 pm

In other words they broke yours talking it off (in fairness they can be a bitch to remove with seized bolts and balded off bolt heads) at least they had a spare to replace yours with but why they didn't take a few minutes with parts cleaner or petrol and give it a bit of a clean I will never no but I hope they weren't at sloppy doing the belt and water pump or bigger problems won't be far away :roll:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm

twin wheel camper wrote: why they didn't take a few minutes with parts cleaner or petrol and give it a bit of a clean I will never no :roll:

It does seem strange, I never refit dirty stuff :? :roll: Lets hope that none of the grease made it as far as the timing belt :shock:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ABA » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 pm

carnt see the point of covering the outer case with grease only so you carnt see it me ide clean it of to make sure it is a new one ,looks like underseal to me so could be second hand of an old engine
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dblL » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:56 am

twin wheel camper wrote:In other words they broke yours talking it off (in fairness they can be a bitch to remove with seized bolts and balded off bolt heads) at least they had a spare to replace yours with but why they didn't take a few minutes with parts cleaner or petrol and give it a bit of a clean I will never no but I hope they weren't at sloppy doing the belt and water pump or bigger problems won't be far away :roll:

My precise thoughts... It's an old motor, wouldn't be surprised if it was a pain to get off. Can't see any new shiny bolts on the 'replaced' one though... Unless he's pulled them off the spare too.
And exactly. Just a shoddy job that... Would've taken 2mins to give it a clean down. I guess I'll do it then!! Though I don't want any of that gunk squidging into the gap under the housing like its looked as if it has & getting anywhere near the belt!!
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dblL » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:00 am

Altransit wrote:It does seem strange, I never refit dirty stuff :? :roll: Lets hope that none of the grease made it as far as the timing belt :shock:

My worry... Half don't dare clean it up incase it seeps in any gaps & near the belts... It's pretty gunky stuff...
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dblL » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:02 am

ABA wrote: ,looks like underseal to me so could be second hand of an old engine

Good point! Hadn't thought of underseal! Though doesn't that stuff dry solid? Like a second skin? This is like thickened up oil...? :|
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ABA » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:23 pm

there are many different types of under seal under my van ive got an under seal called Shultz and looks very similar to what's on your water pump
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions