*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cooling issue, still running hot

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Cooling issue, still running hot

Postby dblL » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Me again :roll:
Just had the transit in the garage to address an oil leak & coolant leak...
It's had a new water pump, timing belt, aux belts, thermostat & thermostat housing. Oil & filter change.

Now though, it seems to be running hot -- when I say hot, I mean still in the 'normal' range but 3/4's of the way along; seemingly going up the longer it's on the road. I've only done a couple 30min journeys but my worry is it'd not plateau/level off if I carried on driving & another half hour on the road we'd be hitting the red.
Being driven the temp gauge rises quite quickly from cold.
Stationary however, with the engine left to idle, the temp gauge takes a significant amount of time to get into 'normal' range (almost 50minutes).

All heaters in the cab work fine - take a while, but heat up/clear the windows pretty efficiently for an old motor. I can't see any bubbling in the coolant res. Have given the hoses a good mess to try and eliminate any air locks (have been panicking from day one about the head; but nothing else points to this no exhaust smoke, oil is clean - gotta be pretty special to kill a banana engine, right?).

Do I need to worry? Shall I give it a blast up & down the a38? Really push it & see what happens? How reliable is the temp gauge?
Going back to my usual (and best) mechanic on Wednesday, but hoping to do a 60mi round trip in it tomorrow (with cargo) - so just weighing up whether to chance it. What could this be? Radiator? Heater core? Hmm...
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Cooling issue, still running hot

Postby andz327 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Have you replaced temperature switch, best to get from ford if possible
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dblL » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:44 pm

andz327 wrote:Have you replaced temperature switch, best to get from ford if possible

Not sure if that's been replaced. Novice question -- is this the switch to the back of the 'stat?
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby andz327 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:39 pm

It could be (been a while since I've worked on a banana engine) they're usually screwed into the cylinder head, with1 wire and switch can be colour coded(insert part of switch) , using a different colour can cause false reading on the gauge
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:41 pm

You'll know if it's temp switch if you earth the wire as this should put gauge into the red instantly
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dblL » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 am

Thankyou @andz327. Friend tested switch yday. No issue. Turns out it was airlocked... It's been burped out and gave it a good run. It's now ticking over just fine! Hallelujah!!
dblL
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions