*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EGR Valve changed but dash light keeps coming back on

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

EGR Valve changed but dash light keeps coming back on

Postby rckape » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:17 am

I broke down a couple of months ago in a cloud of smoke and no power. I changed the EGR valve and this sorted the smoke and power issue. However, the day after the engine management light came back on showing the following codes:
P109 - EGR vacuum regulator solenoid circ
P1402 - EGR metering orifice restricted
P1103 - Mass air flow sensor in range higher than expected

I have cleared them off several times but they come back on after five minutes of driving. Gone are my days of black tape on the dash I need to rely on my van. I was thinking it might be a clogged/dirty sensor but not sure where to start. I've had a look for a loose or split hose and can't see anything obvious.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next before I take it down to the garage?
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: EGR Valve changed but dash light keeps coming back on

Postby MK7 user » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Alright buddy....welcome to the forum. :)

You need to say what model van you have when asking for help. :idea:

Top right hand corner of the page is a search tool....those error codes are very common on a Mk7 Euro IV van....you get them if you blank the EGR at the EGR inlet or remove the harness from the EGR with it closed....is there a blanking plate in the new EGR :?:
No Squire, not just any van....it has to be a Mk7 (VM.1) :D
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby rckape » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Doh! I meant to add it in. It is indeed a Mk7 '07' plate 2.2.

As far as I know there's no blanking plate in there. I fitted an off the shelf EGR valve from Euro, like for like. Is it worth me taking off again to check?
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Check the wiring harness.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby rckape » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks Jim, I've been and given the harness a good look over, disconnected it and reconnected it a few times and can't see anything wrong. The only thing That might be worth mentioning is that it was very difficult to remove the harness plug on the old valve and the plug seems to lock on to the new one but is much easier to remove - this could just be down to it being recently disturbed though.

The same codes are still getting thrown up. Is there anything else I should be checking on the harness?
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:57 pm

rckape wrote:Thanks Jim, I've been and given the harness a good look over, disconnected it and reconnected it a few times and can't see anything wrong. The only thing That might be worth mentioning is that it was very difficult to remove the harness plug on the old valve and the plug seems to lock on to the new one but is much easier to remove - this could just be down to it being recently disturbed though.

The same codes are still getting thrown up. Is there anything else I should be checking on the harness?

Look inside the plug and check that all the pins are still there
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby rckape » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Cheers Ake, I checked that and the pins and plug terminals all match up and there doesn't seem to be any missing.

Does anyone know what voltages to expect at each of the pins on the plug?

As a separate note (I don't know how useful it will be): The code reader I have has a live reading function. I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing with it but it has a % reading for the EGR. It runs up and down the percentage when I press and release the accelerator.
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MK7 user » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Alright buddy. :)

I'll tell you what I think you may already know....you may have a harness problem :!:

The forum search tool will track down the EGR threads....that's a problem, there will be hundreds of them, what's the chances of finding one with the voltages in :?:

Do you know anyone with an Autodata subscription....it may turn out to be any easy repair a save a trip to the garage. :)

That % scale....it's the EGR position, depending on your software it will be % open or closed....the fact that you don't have any running problems points to the fact that it's o.k. :wink:
No Squire, not just any van....it has to be a Mk7 (VM.1) :D
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions