*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Necam Mega LPG distributor

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Necam Mega LPG distributor

Postby serenmor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:45 pm

HI, have a problem with the LPG system in my Mk6 Transit. The symptom is severe misfiring, which I think is due to a fault in the distributor. Before shelling out for a mid-boggingly expensive replacement unit, I would like to test the electrical parts ,ie the stepper motor which is bolted to the top of the unit. This has 4 connection pins, but I have no idea which pin connects to where. The DCSO valve on the unit has 2 pins, so it was a simple matter to test that by connecting to 12 volts to see that it was operating, but the stepper motor has 4 connections. I assume 2 of these are the earth and the 12 volt supply (when triggered by the ECU) but what are the other two? And how can I check that it is working correctly?
If anyone has or knows of a wiring diagram that would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
serenmor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Necam Mega LPG distributor

Postby madmart132 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi serenmor what gives you the idea it's the log distributer ?
Without the computer software which hardly anybody has its impossible to make that call , most times misfiring is due to plugs and or leads .
I would advise changing those items first before messing around with an item that cannot be replaced , we have a sticky on the forum and as far as I can remember nobody has had to replace a LPG distributer.
The engine is fairly simple on these vans and normally so is the fix
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:38 pm

Does it run absolutely perfectly on petrol? Have you changed the filters on the lpg ever? Correct new plugs with slightly narrowed gap if single prong?
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby serenmor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:46 pm

I have now changed the distributor (and stepper motor), but unfortunately the fault is still present. The gas filter was changed a few weeks ago (the old one was quite clean). Just to clarify, it runs fine on petrol, and the LPG fault happened suddenly, while driving, and with no warning. The electronics seem ok, at least the relays switch at the correct point, then the LPG cuts in and I get the misfiring and "kangarooing". Any suggestions?
serenmor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby serenmor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:50 pm

ps: the spark plugs are fairly new, the type recommended for this LPG system, besides, it has run happily on gas before this fault.
serenmor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DodgeRover » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:48 pm

Have you checked all the connections everywhere it sounds like a lack of gas.
There is a fault finding step by step on here somewhere.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madmart132 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi Serenmor , the cover which goes over the top of the spark plugs and leads are very well known for leaking water into the spark plug coil area and causing misfires , remove the cover and look for water ingress around the leads and plugs. You will have to seal it with a marine grease to ake sure water does not enter
also a pain are coils which are near the end of their life they might work on petrol but not on gas
there are 2 solenoids on the gas side 1 on tank to open the valve and one on the reducer/vaporisor to let gas start to warm up in the vaporisor you will have to check both of them
There is or should be a temparture sender in the vaporisor if that goes then the ECU does not know what temp the engine is and will over or under fuel causing similar symptoms
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Holtwood » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Hello! I know this is an old post but i wonder if anyone knows the model of Reducer/Vaporiser in the Mk LPG Transit.
I presume it is also made by Necam? Mine stutters under load at low revs. Can smell gas too.
Thanks.
Holtwood

Return to Technical Problems & Questions