*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 transit 2.2 85ps !!name this noise!!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk7 transit 2.2 85ps !!name this noise!!

Postby Harrygm » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:11 am

Basically, ive been around in a few circles so im makin my own thread.
Cut to the chase here it is.

Vans on 76k bought 2 months ago from bt fsh.

Makes a grumbly rattlin noise.

Noise stops when clutch pedal is pressed.
Noise is still very vaugue on idle.
Noise sounds to me like a clutch release bearing, crankshaft pulley or gear cables rattling on something.

Noise is in flow with the revs but if i rev the engine with the clutch engaged it sound like a beautiful normal engine.

Im pulling my hair out and im definatley not going to be pullin my wallet out for frauds.

Ive been told get the codes read but theres no codes to be read.

Hav hunts on idle a bit when cold, goes upto 1k revs here and there i think it stops when its warm.

Van does not want to start just after turnin off for a few seconds or so, displays oil light.

Van drives sound other than this so do i run her into the ground, ingnorin the noise and face a hefty bill when sh*t hits the pan.

Or do i just keep guessing.

I was goin to get the van remapped and egr blanked but now i think its a waste of time and money as these things are already runnin at max capacity as it is and te pistons arent made for racing.

And ideas, help, solutions from someone who has had these EXACT same problems i would be very grateful.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Harrygm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk7 transit 2.2 85ps !!name this noise!!

Postby Harrygm » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 am

Again its a fraud transit 2.2 tdci 85ps t300s 2010 on 76k.
And i just paid 4.4k for her so im devastated at the thought of spending another penny

Harrygm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:27 am

Can you take video or record the noise and post on here d
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:51 pm

Do the 85ps 2.2's have a DMF..?? If so...it may be worth checking out.

Hunting at idle is usually SCV & PRV related...might need PCM software update and all the usual learns done.

Do you have the "anti-stall" activated..?? if so, the PCM software is probably up to date.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mr RVM » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:00 pm

knobby1 wrote:Do the 85ps 2.2's have a DMF..?? If so...it may be worth checking out.

Hunting at idle is usually SCV & PRV related...might need PCM software update and all the usual learns done.

Do you have the "anti-stall" activated..?? if so, the PCM software is probably up to date.

Lord Knobrot

X2 on the flywheel :wink:
Mr RVM
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Harrygm » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Does anyone know why this injector has black gunk and dead flies round it?
And i think ive found a use for the hole behind them Image

Harrygm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:57 am

Harrygm wrote:Does anyone know why this injector has black gunk and dead flies round it?
And i think ive found a use for the hole behind them

Your rocker cover Injector seals are not happy, not too bad though, have seen a lot worse than that.. easy enough to replace though...

The "cup holder" is for a centrifugal oil filter which is only fitted to the 140ps & I think the 5 cyl 200ps engines.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Harrygm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 am

Ok, ive just had an operation on my leg on monday so bear with me and ill try and get some videos posted.

Thanks for all of your help.

Ok so to start ive got a solid mass flywheel, im unsure weather the van has anti stall or weather its been updated atall, the hunting is worse when cold but the other noises are worse when hot.

When would you recommend changing the injector seals? Do they need coding/calibrating?

Also am i right to believe that this van is going to strip me of every penny i own?

Harrygm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 am

Release bearing init boss
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Harrygm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:52 am

Thats what i thought. But there is only a heartbeat like vibration through the clutch pedal, not a whirring noise or vibration that alters with clutch bite or driving.

Im taking it to the transit doctor in romford on friday so i will definatley be posting all results on here for others to see what cures this annoying noise

Harrygm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Harrygm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:59 am

Ok so i have some info on the annoying noise.
Turns out it is the release bearing.
BUT! The engine is still noisy, hunts on idle when cold and wont start for atleast 30 seconds when its hot, its starts but just dies and flashes oil light but then starts shortly after.

So i believe prv and scv on back of the fuel rail will cause the hunting and noisy engine, would that also cause it to turn off like that? If its returning fuel to the tank because of a blown prv would that give the engine insufficient fuel to let the engine run?

Harrygm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:52 am

Harrygm wrote:BUT! The engine is still noisy, hunts on idle when cold and wont start for atleast 30 seconds when its hot, its starts but just dies and flashes oil light but then starts shortly after.

So i believe prv and scv on back of the fuel rail will cause the hunting and noisy engine, would that also cause it to turn off like that? If its returning fuel to the tank because of a blown prv would that give the engine insufficient fuel to let the engine run?

First, you'll need to do an injector leak-off test to check the general condition of your injectors. If they prove ok...Pop the drain back line off the PRV and start her up, if there's a stupid amount of fuel coming out, she's fooked. If it's not leaking too much, take the whole valve out and see if it's still in one piece...if not she's fooked, even if it's in one piece they can often play up causing the symptoms you have.... If the PRV has failed, it will probably be the SCV causing it. They usually get replaced as a pair.

If you replace the SCV & PRV, you'll need to do PCM update (if required) and then all the normal learns. Be sure to buy genuine Ford valves otherwise you'll probably be buying them again.

You'll need IDS or Forscan to do this....or you'll be bending over at your local Ford stealer.....Unless there's a friendly forum member local to you who can help you out..!

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Harrygm » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi thought i would update with progress on the van.
It had full clutch replacement last year and now it makes a rattle when vold but goes when you press the clutch and after a minuite or two once the engine warms up.
Re otger issues, i had the valve changed and also took the van to martyn @ vantuner for a remapp.
He said fuel pressure etc on idle is spot on, maybe best hes seen.
Since the van really judders sometimes in 4th and 5th @ low revs or on a slight incline.
Judders like a misfire and really shakes the van back and forth until i press clutch or stop accelerating or something.
So valves are spot on, had a clutch replacement because local mechanic thought original problem was release bearing but he now thinks it has a worn gearbox bearing wich martyn said it sounds like worn gearbox but i should have it at 180k not 80k miles.
Im hoping you may know something lordnobrot.
Apart from that, bt applied a economy map wich made the van sh*t but removed since seeing martyn.
One glow plug is out.
No eml lights.
Ford reckon i have a solid mass flywheel.
Im just at the bottom of my balance and its christmas and i dont know if im going to need a new gearbox or engine rebuild eventually.
God damn you under evolutionised humans, we are capable of so much more than greed.

Harrygm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Harrygm » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:16 pm

Also my biting point feels slightly higher and it bounces into gear sometimes mainly second, and if i let the van pull along in first gear at its own speed it sounds like its about to fall apart.
Im thinking maybe i have a battered gearbox but im praying i dont.

Harrygm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Harrygm wrote:Also my biting point feels slightly higher and it bounces into gear sometimes mainly second, and if i let the van pull along in first gear at its own speed it sounds like its about to fall apart.
Im thinking maybe i have a battered gearbox but im praying i dont.

If Martyn says your gearbox is shot....that's good enough for me.

There's a line of thought which says a single mass flywheel is not good for the gearbox, if you have one fitted, this may be your issue or may have caused the demise of your gearbox. If the 85ps engine had a dual mass flywheel from the factory, they do it for a reason.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions