*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Will these seats fit in my 2004 MK6 Transit ?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Will these seats fit in my 2004 MK6 Transit ?

Postby Campervan Handyman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi Everyone, just seen these seats on ebay for £50 but want to know if I can get them in my van, My driver seat has 2 batteries under it, it used to be a minibus.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/front-captain ... SwN8FZtXgA

Can they be adapted ? or are there special seats I can get somewhere ? I want to replace the existing seats with double armrests comfy single seats because we are going to be driving a lot ! and so that we have a gap in the middle to easily access the back of the van / campervan.

Any help on this subject really appreciated.

Thanks, Jay :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On YOUTUBE I am "Campervan Handyman" & posting videos of my Campervan progress ! !

https://www.youtube.com/campervanhandyman
Campervan Handyman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Will these seats fit in my 2004 MK6 Transit ?

Postby Beaker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:07 pm

I don't know for sure but they look very high to me. They look they have come from something like an old Hymer and are bolted straight to the floor.

That's not going to work on a Transit because of the battery box/seat base, so whatever seats you do fit need to be fairly low to the rails otherwise you won't get your legs in under the steering wheel.

Best bet is to send the seller an ebay message and ask for dimensions.

The easiest replacement is to remove the passenger seats and seat base, fit another battery box from a scrapper (it uses the same bolt spacings so is a direct fit), and then fit Ford Galaxy / VW Touran / Seat Alhambra seats. They have the swivel bases and are exactly the same bolt/rail spacing as a Transit so are a no-modification fit.

The next option is to find some nice leather seats with flat rails that need minimal modification to fit on top of the battery box. Old Saab seats, Jaguar seats and sports car seats like Audi TT, Toyota RX8 or Mazda MR2 are very popular and a fairly easy job to get to fit.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Campervan Handyman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Beaker wrote:
The easiest replacement is to remove the passenger seats and seat base, fit another battery box from a scrapper (it uses the same bolt spacings so is a direct fit), and then fit Ford Galaxy / VW Touran / Seat Alhambra seats. They have the swivel bases and are exactly the same bolt/rail spacing as a Transit so are a no-modification fit.

Hi Beaker, thank you for answering this :D When you say fit another battery box from a scrapper what do you mean ? move the batteries from under the seats to somewhere else in the van ? and do you mean a different battery box to the one I already have the 2 batteries in ?

Sorry I am new to all of this but am learning :-) Thanks again for your response, Jay
On YOUTUBE I am "Campervan Handyman" & posting videos of my Campervan progress ! !

Campervan Handyman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Campervan Handyman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi Beaker, think I know what you mean, do you mean get the battery box for the pasenger side so I can fit a single seat on it ? that makes sense :-)

I am searching ebay now for the seats, they seem to have just a hole under them , do I need to buy a swivel mechanism ?

Your help is very much appreciated, Thanks , Jay

Campervan Handyman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 pm

I think breaker mean get the metal box for a drivers seat (where the batteries live) and use that for the base of the passenger seat.

You could make them seats fit I suppose but you would have to relocate the batteries somewhere. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beaker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:28 pm

I mean the seat base that houses the two batteries (battery box was a bad choice of words).

Like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-transit- ... SwQJhUa67j

Remove the passenger seat and fit one of these in it's place. Then you can mount a Galaxy ( or anything other) seat on top. This also gives you somewhere to fit a couple of leisure batteries which is a bonus as you don't then need to put them in the back of the van.

I think most Galaxy seats had swivel bases, but many are sold without them as breakers often take them off to sell seperately, so watch out for that.

Also realised I said VW Touran above, I meant VW Sharan.

As Ned says, It would also be possible to remove the seat base under the driver's seat altogether and fit a big old Captain's seat straight to the floor, but that's going to take quite a bit of work. As he points out, that also means you will need to find somewhere else in the van for your batteries and the fuse box that is also under your seat. So quite a bit of work there too!

Hope this clears up some of the confusion I've created. :? :)
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Did the seat Alhambra have swivel seats as well? N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beaker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:53 pm

I believe so - most on ebay are listed as Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra so I presume at least some Alhambras had swivel front seats.

I might be wrong though - wouldn't be the first time.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:00 pm

The 3 were virtually the same car, I've had 2 galaxy's both 2.3 one ghia, goods cars but the seats are bloody heavy :lol: N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 pm

nedforceone wrote:I think breaker mean get the metal box for a drivers seat (where the batteries live) and use that for the base of the passenger seat.

You could make them seats fit I suppose but you would have to relocate the batteries somewhere. N
Could make them fit if your not worried about the driver seat swiveling, but would need to fabricate brackets etc , I've got vw camper seats in mine that were fairly straightforward to fit/ make brackets for, yours would be a challenge though, loads of people fit ford galaxy seats with swivels to vans
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mistericeman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Don't forget IF you make the drivers seat swivel there is a good chance it will hot the handbrake when it's applied (ie just when you are parked up)
My passenger seat is an identical one to the drivers seat just has a swivel mechanism under it with transit single seat box.

mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Campervan Handyman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:43 am

mistericeman wrote:Don't forget IF you make the drivers seat swivel there is a good chance it will hot the handbrake when it's applied (ie just when you are parked up)
My passenger seat is an identical one to the drivers seat just has a swivel mechanism under it with transit single seat box.

Thanks for that, I wouldnt have guessed that.... Think I will just do what you have done. I will replace the passenger seat with a single seat and just have that one on a swivel. I will get another battery box from a scrappers :-)

Cheers, Jay

Campervan Handyman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:33 am

You can lower the handbrake I re drill mine and fitted a spacer at the top with the handbrake cable adjusted it will just clear there’s a post on hear somewhere of a bracket that was made up to do it better then my setup on that post it also had pictures of a Fofd bracket to fit it tp the door side of the seatbox
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Campervan Handyman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm

dumper wrote:You can lower the handbrake I re drill mine and fitted a spacer at the top with the handbrake cable adjusted it will just clear there’s a post on hear somewhere of a bracket that was made up to do it better then my setup on that post it also had pictures of a Fofd bracket to fit it tp the door side of the seatbox

Cheers Dumper, I will look for the post and see if it is within my limited capabilities :-) Jay

Campervan Handyman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions