*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk8 2.2 tdci back main crank oil seal help

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk8 2.2 tdci back main crank oil seal help

Postby Viva_65 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:12 pm

Hello any advise would be greatly appreciated.

has anyone had trouble replacing the back main on the euro 5 2.2 tdci engine? I change the back main whilst doing the clutch and it leaked between the bell housing engine oil very badly.

so i then put a genuine ford back main seal using there alignment tools and still a horrendous leak instantly only when running.

i put a new rocker cover on it as peaple say the breather blocks in there and still no joy. i don't want to waste another hundred pound on a back main with no guarantee of fixing it.

i have scene another post on hear with the same problem but they posted what happened in the end. Ford will not give me any information at all about it.

It is a 2013 mk7 AWD which I've put a 2015 engine in but that shouldn't make a difference. Or did they change the seals slightly?

any help would make me the happiest man in the world right now thanks
Viva_65

Re: Mk8 2.2 tdci back main help

Postby karl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:04 pm

Have you used the old bolts !

Flywheel bolts :!:
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Viva_65 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:00 pm

I did use the old flywheel bolts yes, I bought a new dual flywheel and clutch and said to LUK if I should replace or if it should come with new bolts and they said they have never had to supply them with new bolts?
Viva_65

Postby Viva_65 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:20 pm

But in saying that, the leak is too bad for all that oil to creep up the threads
Viva_65

Postby Viva_65 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:23 am

well I must of fitted it wrong twice then, does anyone have any tips or guides before I do it again? I am a very competent mechanic borderline perfectionist be good to know if anyone does it differently?
Viva_65

Postby dumper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:01 am

Is their any wear on the crank a lip wear the old seal has worn it I don't now if available for Ford engine but on Cummings engines when thay are worn we fit what is called a speed sleeve and over size seal
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Viva_65 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:52 am

I've just took it off and there was allot of oil in the bell housing, the seal around the crank was bone dry, it looks now as if it's coming from around the plate seal, does anyone put silicone around this seal? And does anyone have a torque setting for the plate bolts? I'm still amazed that much oil is coming from there, but it's the only place it can be! I will upload photos later tonight
Viva_65

Re: Mk8 2.2 tdci back main crank oil seal help

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 pm

If it's the same carrier plate as the Duratorq motors use, there are 'apply sealer here' instructions in the manual.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 am

Jim Archer wrote:If it's the same carrier plate as the Duratorq motors use, there are 'apply sealer here' instructions in the manual. Jim

Quite right Sir..!

Here's an extract from the 2.2L Mk7 manual....I suspect it will be very similar for the Mk8 2.2L. You'll need to refer to the appropriate manual for the relevant pics.

Rear crankshaft seal Installation:

CAUTION: A new crankshaft rear seal carrier is supplied with an alignment sleeve that must not be removed until the crankshaft rear seal is fully installed. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the vehicle.

NOTE: Clean the area on the engine before installing a new crankshaft rear seal carrier. Check the two foam pads are located as shown on the ladder frame gasket.

CAUTION: Install the new crankshaft rear seal carrier within five minutes of applying the recommended sealant. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the vehicle.

CAUTION: Do not add any more than the specified quantity of sealant or add the sealant anywhere other than the area shown. If the foam pads are not present on inspection, fill the square areas shown with 75% of sealant.

NOTE: Install a new crankshaft rear oil seal carrier and crankshaft rear oil seal carrier retaining bolts.

NOTE: A new crankshaft rear oil seal carrier is supplied with an alignment sleeve that must be removed following installation. Do not fully tighten the crankshaft rear oil seal carrier retaining bolts at this stage. Install the crankshaft rear oil seal carrier. Tighten the crankshaft rear oil seal carrier retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts in the sequence shown. Remove the crankshaft rear oil seal carrier alignment sleeve.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karl » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:13 pm

mrk6 /7/8 use the same crank shafts and oil seals :D including mains bearings and big end bearings etc
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Viva_65 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:34 am

Ahh amazing guys on the plate itself it states install dry, and my new seal came with no foam pads just an alignment tool, I'm just waiting on a bearing puller for my spigot bearing now, I couldn't put up photos in the end, thanks again
Viva_65

Main crank leak fixed but now oil in header tank

Postby Viva_65 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Okay great sealant around the back main plate fixed the oil leak, however now I've got oil coming into my header tank as if the headgasket was gone!! But I know it hasn't got hot enough to do that,

I ran it after I just refitted the engine with a oil filler cap that I fitted ta pipe too because I originally though the oil leak was heavy breathing and find no oil in header tank.

So I've just put a standard oil filler cap on with no hole and now I've got oil coming into my header tank, engine runs as sweet as anything no blue or white smoke and I'm getting 28mpg, I've thoroughly cleaned the rocket cover thinking the breather in there was blocked,

Any advice would be damn appreciated again thanks
Viva_65

Postby Viva_65 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:33 pm

The water level in the header tank has remained the same
Viva_65

Postby knobby1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 am

Viva_65 wrote:The water level in the header tank has remained the same

Oil in header tank is usually a blown oil cooler.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions