*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gauges on a wipe motor armature stack teeth

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Gauges on a wipe motor armature stack teeth

Postby maddenstown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:19 pm

IMG_20170914_150912.jpg
IMG_20170914_150743.jpg
Bertie's 1988 MK3 wiper motor became lazy and would not take a load and only rotate with manual assistance. Also gets hot.
This after some months inaction and exposure to the elements, well to put it bluntly, it was the equivalent of his flies being open.
Bertie has retained his composure, and his front chassis is once again fully clad, thanks to Karl.
I started to investigate to-day and discovered three gouges on two of the adjacent stack teeth of the armature and one on a distant one. Do these,like wear on the teeth of a flywheel starter ring in one area, represent slow, fast, and parking settings?
Secondly, are they normal wear? My next thing is to test resistance as per helpful YouTube item re commutator and individual windings; clean commutator (brushes seem fine), then look at gearbox more closely. Any comments most welcome, especially any knowledge of interchangeability with MK 4 or MK5 wiper motors if I find Berties's needs rewinding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddenstown
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Gauges on a wipe motor armature stack teeth

Postby knobby1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:54 am

Those grind marks are for balancing of the armature.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions