*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear Brake light problems Mark 5 Transit.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Rear Brake light problems Mark 5 Transit.

Postby OuterMongolia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Brake lights on all the time when ignition is switched on then go off and on when brake pedal pressed but stay on all the time ! I had previously replaced Drive`s side bulb holder due to severe corrosion caused by water ingress a few months ago.Now I replaced passenger side because I thought I had same problem when rear brake lights stopped and bulb was corroded into socket .I have checked fuses
I have a 1999 MK5 Bannana Engined Transit Campervan
OuterMongolia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rear Brake light problems Mark 5 Transit.

Postby andz327 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:18 pm

OuterMongolia wrote:Brake lights on all the time when ignition is switched on then go off and on when brake pedal pressed but stay on all the time ! I had previously replaced Drive`s side bulb holder due to severe corrosion caused by water ingress a few months ago.Now I replaced passenger side because I thought I had same problem when rear brake lights stopped and bulb was corroded into socket .I have checked fuses
Disconnect the brake light switch down at the brake pedal and see if lights go out, it's possible your switch maybe came loose, if it's not loose and lights go off when you disconnect then switch required
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:30 pm

andz327 wrote:
OuterMongolia wrote:Brake lights on all the time when ignition is switched on then go off and on when brake pedal pressed but stay on all the time ! I had previously replaced Drive`s side bulb holder due to severe corrosion caused by water ingress a few months ago.Now I replaced passenger side because I thought I had same problem when rear brake lights stopped and bulb was corroded into socket .I have checked fuses
Disconnect the brake light switch down at the brake pedal and see if lights go out, it's possible your switch maybe came loose, if it's not loose and lights go off when you disconnect then switch required
Any joy ??
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby OuterMongolia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 pm

andz327 wrote:
andz327 wrote:
Any joy ??

Thanks . Well since you put this post up I have been to have a look ! As soon as the switch is unplugged the brake lights go out . The switch appears loose and can be pulled out easily . When the brake lights are on and I push the button on the switch in with my thumb the lights go out .Presumably the switch is working but I need to find away to secure it ?
OuterMongolia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:12 pm

OuterMongolia wrote:
andz327 wrote:
andz327 wrote:[quote="OuterMongolia"]Brake lights on all the time when ignition is switched on then go off and on when brake pedal pressed but stay on all the time ! I had previously replaced Drive`s side bulb holder due to severe corrosion caused by water ingress a few months ago.Now I replaced passenger side because I thought I had same problem when rear brake lights stopped and bulb was corroded into socket .I have checked fuses
Any joy ??

Thanks . Well since you put this post up I have been to have a look ! As soon as the switch is unplugged the brake lights go out . The switch appears loose and can be pulled out easily . When the brake lights are on and I push the button on the switch in with my thumb the lights go out .Presumably the switch is working but I need to find away to secure it ?[/quote]It should just tame a 1/4 turn to secure, it needs to be adjusted so push it down until lights go out then just twist it slightly(1/4 turn) and should secure at that
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby OuterMongolia » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:01 pm

"It should just tame a 1/4 turn to secure, it needs to be adjusted so push it down until lights go out then just twist it slightly(1/4 turn) and should secure at that"
Thanks . I managed a temporary fix by wedging an improvised spacer between the brake pedal and the switch!
OuterMongolia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions