*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Starting problem MK7

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Starting problem MK7

Postby airportminibus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:06 pm

Good evening to you all,
I have a MK7 Tourneo that has an intermittent starting problem. I was on here before but cant remember login details so rejoined.I had a problem similar on a MK6 Tourneo that was eventually traced to relay R8,after being in main dealers for nearly 3 weeks and new injectors AA technical diagnosed problem over the phone!!!
About 2 months ago van wouldn't start so AA called. No codes showing and started after about 6 turns.Went into garage same day ,they couldn't get any codes and going on previous experience changed head temp sensor.I still have the non start problem and it can happen at any time first thing in morning after 100 mile run or after 2 mile run.After searching on here and all over the net I have changed the following (not all at the same time)

Ignition switch
Clutch position switch
Cam position sensor

Any ideas ? Can any one put me in touch with a decent Ford mechanic that isn't a main dealer ,in the Southampton area.
I have owned 3 brand new transits buying my first "Bonus" in 1991 and kept them for 4 years and dont remember having any of these problems.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Mark
airportminibus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Starting problem MK7

Postby knobby1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 am

Mk7's are full of all sorts of electrickery which can give grief randomly....

Crankshaft position sensor can sometimes give grief causing intermittent start issues, check to make sure it's fitted correctly and all the way home. Might pay to remove and clean it, it's a magnetic pick-up and often the DMF & clutch can cover it with metal filings which can make it fail to read properly, it's relatively easy to check and free to do..!

Remove the fuel filter and see if it's "full" of fuel, if not you may have an air leak upstream of the filter or via the injector leak-back pipes.

If she's failed to start several times, you "should" have fault codes stored, maybe historic or pending..! Some code readers cannot read the historic or pending codes.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby airportminibus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks for the info. The crank sensor was looked at at the garage but ruled out. As for the codes nothing showing with the AA who I imagine would have decent bits of kit o4 my garage. I will check fuel filter if not full I’ll need an diesel engineer if any one can point me in the right direction.
airportminibus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:14 am

airportminibus wrote:As for the codes nothing showing with the AA who I imagine would have decent bits of kit o4 my garage.

Again....if she's failed to start, or started and stopped on several occasions, there will be fault codes stored, do you know what code reader was used?? Ford IDS or Forscan are good ones which can read pretty much everything.

Just remember, the AA has to be able to read all sorts of vehicle types, not just Transits, so I'm guessing, although it may be a fine unit.... it will be a "universal" type reader rather than a Ford specific unit.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby airportminibus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 pm

Other than a main dealer where can I get the codes read ? last time I went to the main dealer they did £1000 worth of work that transpired to be a £35 fix so as they have the monopoly in my area ( Hendy) I am at a loss as to where to take it
airportminibus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:45 am

airportminibus wrote:Other than a main dealer where can I get the codes read ? last time I went to the main dealer they did £1000 worth of work that transpired to be a £35 fix so as they have the monopoly in my area ( Hendy) I am at a loss as to where to take it

There may be a member local to you who could possibly help you out, you say you're in Hendy..? Where exactly is that...?? Forgive my ignorance, I'm an Aussie.. :oops:

Some of us have IDS and/or Forscan to do these tasks....once you have it, it will pay for itself in a very short time indeed, instead of bending over at a dealer every time they plug their machine into your van, let alone fix anything. ....I've had IDS for a couple of years now...and purchased my Forscan system for $35 Aussie sheckles just a week or two back...well worth it...considering it cost me ~$125 Aussie sheckles just to plug into at my local dealer... :shock:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:41 pm

knobby1 wrote:you say you're in Hendy..? Where exactly is that...?? Forgive my ignorance, I'm an Aussie.. :oops:

Hendy, are a chain of Ford main dealers based over the South of England, so I would guess, possibly wrongly, that the OP is somewhere near to Gatwick airport.

If that's the case, I would recommend a trip round the M25 to see Vantuner in Ruislip 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby airportminibus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:16 pm

I'm in Southampton if any one knows of a decent mechanic who can have a look
airportminibus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:36 am

For all they cost, I’d be trying a crank sensor in that
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby v8dave » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Before changing the crank sensor take the cam sensor out of the head and check it is clean.

I had starting issues which did not generate codes, all went away after cleaning the cam sensor.

If you move the crank sensor you have to put a new one in to get the spacing correct, no such problem with cam sensor.

With ids or forscan reading live data while cranking will show no "sync" if cam or crank sensor is faulty, rpm signal can be erratic if the crank sensor is faulty.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ned » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Your battery terminals are tight aren't they :?: sounds stupid but worth a check. N

RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby airportminibus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 pm

New cam sensor already fitted so can rule that out,crank sensor has been checked by garage when it went in. As for battery i'll check but it turns over fine, just wont fire up on occasions.

Is crank sensor easy DIY change its the only thing left I can try myself if it is, before I have to find a garage or main dealer

Thanks to all
airportminibus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby airportminibus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Found someone with Ford IDS..Hopefully coming on Monday
airportminibus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby airportminibus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Had the codes read today

U0073

The guy tells me there is a communication error between IPC and ECU.It's not a permanant fault as it didn't show after reset but then appeared again.He suggests checking the connection at ECU and cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner and trying it for a day or two then doing the same at the IPC end.If that doesn't cure it he suggests it could be a broken or worn cable somewhere.

Any thoughts on this??

How do you get to the ECU connections he showed me where it is but couldn't work out how to get into it.

Thanks guys
airportminibus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby airportminibus » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:57 am

Meant to put

Its not a permanant fault
airportminibus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next