*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Does a Galaxy have a transit engine?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Does a Galaxy have a transit engine?

Postby serenmor » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 pm

As Haines do not produce a manual for my petrol Transit ( Mk 6 , 2004, DOHC 2.3 ltr), I was looking for info on engine servicing, ( the usual Haynes manual info). The manual for the diesel version is ok for brakes, suspension etc., but I need specific info on the engine, as I will have to change the timing chain fairly soon. I have been told that a Ford Galaxy of the same year would have the same engine as the Transit, so can any wise heads on here confirm that?

If not, do any other Ford vehicles have the Transit engine?
serenmor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Does a Galaxy have a transit engine?

Postby madmart132 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi the galaxy engine is very similar but its transverse most parts are interchangable though, The Scorpio uses the exact engine .
what makes you think you need to do the camchain ?
Mine have done 310,000 and 250,000 without problem The Ford Scorpio forum are very helpful and should be able to guide you through the process
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby serenmor » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks for that - I only mentioned the timing chain as an example of the sort of job I might need to do. The fact is I don't like driving a vehicle when I lack the basic information for servicing and repairs.

I think my local Ford dealer said the timing chain should be changed every 150,000 miles, but I'll check that against the info you have given me. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is good philosophy up to a point, the trouble is that a broken timing chain can easily lead to a completely broken engine, so if it's not a difficult job I'd feel better doing it on time.

Thanks again for your help.
serenmor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Did one on a 20lt xr4x4 years ago but only because doing head gasket not bad job to do
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:38 am

serenmor wrote:As Haines do not produce a manual for my petrol Transit ( Mk 6 , 2004, DOHC 2.3 ltr), I was looking for info on engine servicing, ( the usual Haynes manual info). The manual for the diesel version is ok for brakes, suspension etc., but I need specific info on the engine, as I will have to change the timing chain fairly soon. I have been told that a Ford Galaxy of the same year would have the same engine as the Transit, so can any wise heads on here confirm that?

If not, do any other Ford vehicles have the Transit engine?

The Transit uses a version of the Galaxy engine, but obviously in a rwd layout rather than fwd
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions