*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Transit Side Door Problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk7 Transit Side Door Problem

Postby madasamonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Hopefully someone can help

I just bought a MK7 and the side door doesn't close tight at the bottom, sliding door. I've changed the bottom bracket and roller , which has helped but I now want to replace the other bits but not sure of the name for them. I assume the bit fixed to the door is a 'wedge' and the bit fixed to the door jam is a 'keeper' but despite lots of Googling I can't find them for sale

Do I have the correct names for them?

Any correct names or links would help cheers

Simon
madasamonkey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 Transit Side Door Problem

Postby andz327 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:58 pm

madasamonkey wrote:Hopefully someone can help

I just bought a MK7 and the side door doesn't close tight at the bottom, sliding door. I've changed the bottom bracket and roller , which has helped but I now want to replace the other bits but not sure of the name for them. I assume the bit fixed to the door is a 'wedge' and the bit fixed to the door jam is a 'keeper' but despite lots of Googling I can't find them for sale

Simon
A wedge and a keeper wot the fook, mate just give us some pictures.......if the doors out at bottom then adjust the top out , or may need centre roller adjusted but pictures of gaps as well if poss would help.....sliding door rollers , latch and striker / lock mechanism
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madasamonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:08 pm

andz327 wrote:

Simon
A wedge and a keeper wot the fook, mate just give us some pictures.......if the doors out at bottom then adjust the top out , or may need centre roller adjusted but pictures of gaps as well if poss would help.....sliding door rollers , latch and striker / lock mechanism

No idea how to upload pictures

Some previous owner has filed the bits, that's why I want to replace them.
The top of the door fits flush but the bottom leaves a half inch gap where you can see daylight so guess it's not water tight
madasamonkey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 pm

madasamonkey wrote:
andz327 wrote:

Simon

The top of the door fits flush but the bottom leaves a half inch gap where you can see daylight so guess it's not water tight
The door can be adjusted quite a bit from the top roller up or down to line up body swedge lines or in at top brings bottom rear out, out at top brings bottom rear in, the wedgey things your talking about dont usually cause the problems just a bit of jiggery pokery and patience
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 pm

andz327 wrote:
madasamonkey wrote:
andz327 wrote:[quote="madasamonkey"]Hopefully someone can help

Simon

The door can be adjusted quite a bit from the top roller up or down to line up body swedge lines or in at top brings bottom rear out, out at top brings bottom rear in, the wedgey things your talking about dont usually cause the problems just a bit of jiggery pokery and patience[/quote]Use the section at bottom left to uploadImage
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madasamonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Can't get photos to upload, I'm on a laptop not a smart phone

But I need to replace the parts as they have be butchered by a previous owner, so when the door shuts the 'male' part on the door doesn't insert into the 'female' part on the door frame. They cant be adjusted to work
madasamonkey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 pm

They're just called "sliding door rollers"...pretty common on fleabay.:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... SwOddYx8Tg

I fitted a set to mine on Monday afternoon, there's plenty of adjustment on each roller to get the gaps and closure right, can be a bit fiddly but can be done....just remember the door is heavy and you may need a second person to help. I used a floor jack and a piece of timber to take the weight whilst I adjusted/aligned things....1/2 hour and job done. You'll need a #T-40 torx bit to remove them, the top roller is held on with a 13mm nut as well as the torx bolts.

Once the center roller is unbolted from the door it's removed/fitted from the rear of the roller track, there's a plastic cap which pops off the rear of the track using a small plastic clip.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madasamonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:18 pm

i need a new fitting for the door frame, that the bit on the door fits into. A previous owner has attacked it with a file,
But I don't know what it's called to buy one

I've replaced the roller
madasamonkey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 pm

madasamonkey wrote:i need a new fitting for the door frame, that the bit on the door fits into. A previous owner has attacked it with a file,
But I don't know what it's called to buy one

I've replaced the roller

Ah...you mean the ones on the front of the sliding door??...Are these what you're after..?? They're called wedges..!

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NisxMzc%3D

Methinks they may be a Ford only thing....can't see any on Fleabay.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madasamonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 pm

yuppitty they the bewtys

I can't find em anywhere

So I guessed right wedge and poss keeper lol
madasamonkey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:57 pm

madasamonkey wrote:yuppitty they the bewtys

I can't find em anywhere

So I guessed right wedge and poss keeper lol

You might be able to pinch a set from your local breakers..! :wink: :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madasamonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Gonna try that tomorrow now i know what to ask for
madasamonkey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:40 pm

The wedge and keeper plates won't solve you issue, you need to adjust the lower track arm to sit the bottom front corner further in - you may well need to then adjust the top track arm to suit as the door twists.

Plates are there to stop the door rattling when closed.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby madasamonkey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Got a set from the breakers, he didn't know the name either

Now fitted and tweaked, door now fits without light seeping in but not flush

I looked at the top bracket and that is set as far out as possible. the bottom one is set as far in as possible so guess that's as good as it will get

Thanks all for your help
madasamonkey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 pm

madasamonkey wrote:Got a set from the breakers, he didn't know the name either

Now fitted and tweaked, door now fits without light seeping in but not flush

I looked at the top bracket and that is set as far out as possible. the bottom one is set as far in as possible so guess that's as good as it will get

Thanks all for your help

Door may be twisted a bit.... :?

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions