*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ASM drops clutch too quickly/roughly and stalls

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

ASM drops clutch too quickly/roughly and stalls

Postby sjmcl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 am

I've just bought a secondhand 2002 Transit 350L, Engine D2FA, 2.4 DuraTorq Diesel, 238,000 km on the clock. The previous owner assured me he never had any problems with the gearbox, yet I'm just finding out he may have been covering up..

The van drives very nicely and shifts gears smoothly, except occasionally when taking off. I believe it is dropping the clutch too quickly, usually even before the revs go up, which then causes the van to stall. Most awkward in city traffic!

I found a way to prevent it from stalling though. When stopped at the lights, I put it in neutral, and when just about to go I rev it up (while still in neutral) and then quickly press the D button to put it into gear/auto. I've never had it stall on me using this procedure, but it is very awkward. Sometimes I can still hear and feel the clutch being dropped a bit roughly but because the engine is already revving up enough it does not stall, it just gives a little knock or jerk. I've never noticed the same rough gearbox changes at any other speeds and gear changes, only when taking off.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms and is able to point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

PS : I'm not a mechanic by trade, but I have always been able to service and fix my own vehicles, including swapping an EPIC fuel injection pump for a Bosh mechanical pump (best thing I ever did to my previous Transit!!).
sjmcl
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: ASM drops clutch too quickly/roughly and stalls

Postby Punto443 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 am

Hi welcome to the forum.

I don’t know much about these asm’s. However most seem to have problems are down to the high pressure pump or relays
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Punto443 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:17 am

Although this thread doesn’t sound too far away from your symptoms?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169661&p=1516205&hilit=Asm#p1516205
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby sjmcl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks Punto. I saw that thread but I was hoping to avoid trial and error and pinpoint the exact problem. I got another possible clue this morning. When I took off down the road (in automatic) it would not shift into second gear. I had to press the manual button on the steering wheel to put it into second gear, and then press the D button to put it back into auto. After that it would behave again.

Also, my previous trick of revving it up in neutral first still works, but I've had a few times where it would almost stall and jerk a few times, even after revving it up. Can't be healthy for the clutch and gearbox.

In the long run I'm really keen to convert this to a full manual, but I have not been able to source the parts (and instructions) I need for it.
sjmcl
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 pm

ASM = another silly mistake :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions