*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

timing

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

timing

Postby kennyb11 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Hello everyone hope your well ,I'm a new member so please bear with me. I have a mk6 2002 jumbo transit rwd 2.4 di with 294,000 miles on the clock,she ran like a top till about a month ago then due to timing chain tensioner failing has been parked up with cracked camshaft carrier. I have sourced another head and carrier from a donor engine and fitted head ,new gasket .torque settings and angle tighten 90 degrees etc. my next move is to fit the camshafts and new chain and guides,have removed camshaft sensor and pinned flywheel 50 btdc ,will pin cam sprockets and fuel pump with 6mm drill bits ,line up gold links and hand turn engine twice by hand. I know when I fit the chain the tensioner guide should be fitted but should the fixed guides be fitted at that point or should they be fitted after ive pulled the pin on the new tensioner? any help would be appreciated.
kennyb11
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: timing

Postby Fastfish » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Guides need to be in when you release tensioner as will be bloody tight to get in after
Fastfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: timing

Postby kennyb11 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:00 am

thanks for the reply fastfish ,that's what I thought but the Haynes manual says withdraw the tensioner locking pin this will then tension the timing chain. refit the three fixed timing chain guides and tighten the retaining bolts to the specified torque setting.
kennyb11
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions