*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

39k 1998 Hi Cube TD problem (Help Please)

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

39k 1998 Hi Cube TD problem (Help Please)

Postby Fastfish » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:55 pm

I just bought a genuine 39k Hi Cube TD with and engine fault....

Checked timing today and reset....engine starts easily, but engine light is on and it splutters and coughs with loads of white smoke...Can here turbo whistle and seems to make boost ok

I think it could be the pump...but its the EPIC type, I did read on forum somewhere that you can fit the normal DI normally aspirated pump? is this correct? Ie any mechanical 2.5 di pump? Do I use with the normal TD 100ps injectors? any help would be great as I really need the van to help me move house.. Thanks in advance
Fastfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 39k 1998 Hi Cube TD problem (Help Please)

Postby derv23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Are you sure it's definitely timed up correctly? Did you use pins ?
When was the belt last replaced ?

You can swap the epic to a di pump , any one will work with a bit of tweaking. Certain ones work better without much fuel tweak, can't remember the numbers just now.

You will also need the injector fuel pipes , di pump bracket and accelerator pedal.
Sure there's something else but can't remember. Seemingly an easy enough swap, never done it myself.
Unless you know someone with a Lucas laser code reader !
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 pm

When you say reset timing was it out :?: If it was did you check the tappets :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Fastfish » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:15 pm

I used a 6mm pin for pump,8mm for cam and 12.9 taper pin in crank, when checked tonight the pump was appx 10 degrees out, before adjusting engine would start but would hardly rev at all with loads of smoke, after reset it will rev but not to full and still smokes like mad, white diesel type unburnt smoke...Ideally I would like to just swop it for a bosch as not a fan of electronic pumps period....

What is a DI pump bracket?
Fastfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Fastfish wrote:What is a DI pump bracket?

A bracket for a DI pump :wink:

Give it a nice shiney new fuel filter.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Fastfish » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:53 pm

Adjusted the timing on the pump forward of its actual timing pin mark, van now revs in neutral but is stuck in limp mode imagine as it wont go more than 30 mph, Get slight black smoke on revving and got lots of white smoke after 5 min drive???? grrrrrrrrr
Fastfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby derv23 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:37 pm

As mentioned have you checked and or adjusted the tappets ?

What is the red led doing on dash or in headlining ?
MK5 Tourneo.
derv23
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Fastfish » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Not checked tappets, but timing was only out by half a tooth so dont suspect valve to piston etc... Red LED goes out after cranking, Van will start several times stopping right away before it finally stays running, seen this plenty times before and suspect Camshaft,crankshaft coloration fault due to timing incorrect..

But as already posted when timing is perfect on the pins the van sounds very retarded and makes white unburnt diesel smoke.

Red EML light always on and will not go over 30 mph appx
Fastfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 am

Did you actually change the belt? If not you are wasting your time adjusting the timing, it’ll end up out again
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Fastfish » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:56 pm

ake wrote:Did you actually change the belt? If not you are wasting your time adjusting the timing, it’ll end up out again

The adjustable fuel pump pulley should be able to compensate for slight belt wear issues? surely if all the pins have gone into their locations then its timed, After fitting hundreds of cambelts over the years different makes etc seem to be slightly different lengths anyway? And not wanting to throw any money at it until I know the engine/turbo/pump etc are good
Fastfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm

where are you?

EPIC is a much nicer thing to drive than a TD with a bosch lashed on, but its swings and roundabouts really. It does sound like a timing issue to me
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Fastfish wrote:
ake wrote:Did you actually change the belt? If not you are wasting your time adjusting the timing, it’ll end up out again

The adjustable fuel pump pulley should be able to compensate for slight belt wear issues? surely if all the pins have gone into their locations then its timed, After fitting hundreds of cambelts over the years different makes etc seem to be slightly different lengths anyway? And not wanting to throw any money at it until I know the engine/turbo/pump etc are good

A worn belt allows the timing to change when running
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Fastfish » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:44 pm

ake wrote:
Fastfish wrote:

A worn belt allows the timing to change when running

I will fire a new belt on tmmz, but with the Timing all pegged correctly she ran what seemed to be very retarded to me, no diesel knock to speak of and loads of unburnt diesel white smoke too?
Fastfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions