*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine change, No start

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Engine change, No start

Postby Scrambler » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:20 am

Hello, having an interesting problem with my MK5 1998. Had a blown engine so swapped it over. have hooked everything back up properly but it won't start. It feels as though the key isn't turning all the way in the ignition. Also I'm guessing it could be the immobilizer system? What is this thing ive taken a photo of in the engine back it had some very dodgy wiring coming out of it

Scrambler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine change, No start

Postby Scrambler » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:27 am

Another image of the device in question. I can hear it clicking erratically when I go to start the truck, this happens sometimes and other times it just clicks once. I have since connected that wire that has come off. What is the little ceramic coated fuse for next to it?

Scrambler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wojciech » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Scrambler wrote:Hello, having an interesting problem with my MK5 1998. Had a blown engine so swapped it over. have hooked everything back up properly but it won't start. It feels as though the key isn't turning all the way in the ignition. Also I'm guessing it could be the immobilizer system? What is this thing ive taken a photo of in the engine back it had some very dodgy wiring coming out of it

It is manifold glow plug control module plus resistor. It works with great el. current intensity - so if electric contacts are oxidized or dirty after many years - it can be burn.
It should be work in cold weather, usually below -5C degr. Module control glow plug, fuel valve (for plug) and yellow light on clocks. If you have now problems with start - this system can't be the cause of it.
In UK climate engine in good condition doesn't need this system - it will always start very good without glow plug. In continental climate (East countries) in winter morning it can be -30 C deg. - - yes, in those time it can help with start...
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Scrambler » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:04 am

wojciech wrote:
Scrambler wrote:Hello, having an interesting problem with my MK5 1998. Had a blown engine so swapped it over. have hooked everything back up properly but it won't start. It feels as though the key isn't turning all the way in the ignition. Also I'm guessing it could be the immobilizer system? What is this thing ive taken a photo of in the engine back it had some very dodgy wiring coming out of it

It is manifold glow plug control module plus resistor. It works with great el. current intensity - so if electric contacts are oxidized or dirty after many years - it can be burn.
It should be work in cold weather, usually below -5C degr. Module control glow plug, fuel valve (for plug) and yellow light on clocks. If you have now problems with start - this system can't be the cause of it.
In UK climate engine in good condition doesn't need this system - it will always start very good without glow plug. In continental climate (East countries) in winter morning it can be -30 C deg. - - yes, in those time it can help with start...

hey I appreciate your reply, that clears things up. I'm working towards it being an immobilizer problem. Im looking at this LED thing flashing and I think its giving me the code 31. no start no nothing it doesn't even engage the starter motor. Does anyone know much about resetting these immobilzers or bypassing them
Scrambler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Is the engine turning over, and not firing, or not even turning over :?:
What exactly is the immobiliser light doing :?:
Which engine is it, turbo or N/A :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Original injection pump? They are matched to the immobiliser.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Scrambler » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:33 am

Altransit wrote:Is the engine turning over, and not firing, or not even turning over :?:
What exactly is the immobiliser light doing :?:
Which engine is it, turbo or N/A :?:

Its an N/A engine.
It will not even turn over. The starter motor doesn't work
the immobiliser flashes rapidly for around 1 minutre the does 3 blinks and the 1 blink repeatedly

Jim Archer wrote:Original injection pump? They are matched to the immobiliser.

Jim

Interesting to Note, its not the original one so that must be my problem, now i will try to bypass the system as it seems the easiest option
Scrambler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:52 am

If you have the original pump, take off the RIM module which is bolted on the back, and fit it to the new pump. This is the part that is matched to the immobiliser :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Scrambler » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:42 am

Altransit wrote:If you have the original pump, take off the RIM module which is bolted on the back, and fit it to the new pump. This is the part that is matched to the immobiliser :)

Never thought about that haha okay thanks, I will try that. cheers mate
Scrambler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Scrambler » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:43 am

Worked a treat! Thanks so much for the advice You have no idea how much I appreciate it really!Would have helped if I had known my way around the ol immobilizer system these have no I feel a little silly it was that simple.

The van smokes a little bit sometimes, on first start up it smoked much more than it does now its been heated up and run a bit. Its a bluey smoke, rings possibly? and when the heat gets up the clearance closes in the bores and you get less smoke? Is it advisable to use a thicker oil on these trucks i think im using 15w 40 or somethign right now. Cheers
Scrambler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:13 am

Probably valve stem seals. They can be done in situ on these.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby WarthogARJ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 pm

If it smokes on start-up it might be the glow-plugs aren't working properly: maybe dead, a few faulty, or not even wired up (or blown fuse etc).
You don't need them to start, but it helps improve efficiency when cold.

Mine has this issue.

Scrambler wrote:Worked a treat! Thanks so much for the advice You have no idea how much I appreciate it really!Would have helped if I had known my way around the ol immobilizer system these have no I feel a little silly it was that simple.

The van smokes a little bit sometimes, on first start up it smoked much more than it does now its been heated up and run a bit. Its a bluey smoke, rings possibly? and when the heat gets up the clearance closes in the bores and you get less smoke? Is it advisable to use a thicker oil on these trucks i think im using 15w 40 or somethign right now. Cheers
WarthogARJ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:27 pm

WarthogARJ wrote:If it smokes on start-up it might be the glow-plugs aren't working properly: maybe dead, a few faulty, or not even wired up (or blown fuse etc).

Mine has this issue.

No glowplugs on a Mk5 Di engine :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby WarthogARJ » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Altransit wrote:
WarthogARJ wrote:If it smokes on start-up it might be the glow-plugs aren't working properly: maybe dead, a few faulty, or not even wired up (or blown fuse etc).

Mine has this issue.

No glowplugs on a Mk5 Di engine :)

Aha!!
Indeed, yeah that's interesting.
So the Ford diesels all started with glow plugs, then it seems for some (like Mk5) they don't have them, although they DO have a "cold start mechanism".
And then they went back to using them again.

Like I know some of the newer ones have them: the TT9 does.
Do all new Ford van diesels have glow plugs?

I suppose that's to try to get them to run more efficiently when they are cold, or at least cold in colder weather.
WarthogARJ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions