*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2004 1.4 fiesta battery light staying on

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2004 1.4 fiesta battery light staying on

Postby mk5transitjay » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi, my sisters has just brought the car and the batt light is permently on. we took it to a local garage to be plugged in on diagnostic and the only error it come up with was charging relay error..... he turned the code of twice but after 20 seconds off it being of the light came on again both times. now i have been told these cars are common fault with part of the charging loom wires breaking and can cause this fault.. anyone on here able to help her out a bit more in locating this common fault and a easy was of fixing it.. the garage also tested the battery charge and said its charging fine not 100% but enough, and he dont think the alternater is causing the light to stay on... any help would be appreciated and if fault is fixed i dont mind transfuring over a drink to the person that helps me as a little thank you. many thanks in advance
mk5transitjay

Re: 2004 1.4 fiesta battery light staying on

Postby blue estate » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Location would help
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby mk5transitjay » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:18 pm

blue estate wrote:Location would help

im in worthing west sussex but am asking anyone on here able to diagnose the problem on this forum for me... my local mecanic is saying it could be a broken wire somewere on the loom but to locate this it could mean taking the whole loom out and replacing it as appartently it is a common fault on these cars so im just asking first has anybody had this problem before and has the solution to getting the battery light to turn off. again thanks for your reply
mk5transitjay

Postby karl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:20 pm

broken wire

ids will tell you this and point you in the right direction these garages only have snap-on readers and are not manufacture specific

waste of money realy these can cost upto £6000 for the top of the range stuff from them

also live date will tell you if its charging or not :)
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby karl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:22 pm

mk5transitjay wrote:

im in worthing west sussex but am asking anyone on here able to diagnose the problem on this forum for me... my local mecanic is saying it could be a broken wire somewere on the loom but to locate this it could mean taking the whole loom out and replacing it as appartently it is a common fault on these cars so im just asking first has anybody had this problem before and has the solution to getting the battery light to turn off. again thanks for your reply

their is a a loom from alternator to a plug and its normally their the wire is corroded away
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby mk5transitjay » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 pm

karl wrote:
mk5transitjay wrote:

their is a a loom from alternator to a plug and its normally their the wire is corroded away

thank you karl thats a good starting point and i will get under the bonnet in the morning and have a look for her, we have a good local ford breakers up the road from us that should have the loom in stock if it is the wire corroded. there is a slight split in the 3 way wire block that comes out the alternator would that be the cause it is connected still but the pvc coating is torn a feww mm and the copper wire is showing through....again mate thanks for your reply really appreciate the time and if this is the fault a will sort u out a drink
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mk5transitjay

Postby karl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:44 pm

iam only going of what you say on here mate but that is the loom for these and it corrodes at the other end off alternator end :D

also try putting a live to the alternator signal wire

but is not advised if you dont know what you doing :shock: you will blow the ecu as these are smart charging system
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Return to Technical Problems & Questions