*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Exploding rear screens

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Exploding rear screens

Postby lawrencegreen-28 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi guys, I have a tourneo connect 59 plate well looked after by previous owner I’ve now had within the space of one year both rear door screens shatter after using the heater elements. It’s not an instant break but around 10-15 mins after screens defrosted they go boom!!! Has anyone else had this happen or is the van possessed ? First the passenger side went mid Feb and drivers side this morning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lawrencegreen-28

Re: Exploding rear screens

Postby loot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:20 pm

It shouldn't happen but i think they should only stay on for so long, perhaps there is a fault with the bcm? Otherwise no idea
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Beaker » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 pm

I know heated screens have never been popular in Scandinavia for this very reason. Heating up glass when it's minus 20 outside is not a great idea.

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem in the UK, so maybe they are running for too long, or possibly too hot and they simply can't cope with the rate of expansion of the glass. Do you know what adhesive was used to fit them? If it is too rigid and won't let the glass move, that may have something to do with it.

I haven't a clue how to fix it though.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 pm

The only heat ice ever felt is from the mirrors, i think the temp of the front and rear is marginal as long as the times are as they should be, the bcm times how long they are heated for and if it has stuck internally then maybe it has allowed the rear glass to overheat at the filament tracks?

Something only you can know tho, maybe connect a bulb to the rear glass cables and time how long it stays on for.

I can't confirm the exact time off hand tho :-( i do know a lot longer than the front screen tho.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby lawrencegreen-28 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 am

Cheers for replies, unsure as to what glue but both were factory fitted glass by ford the new ones are fitted by national windscreens bu as they are privacy glass they take 3-4 days to source which is a pain! I may book into garage to see if there is any issues with electrical source or just disconnect them and scrape ice off instead as cant be doing with thinking I’m under sniper fire driving when they pop
lawrencegreen-28

Postby Timbo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:24 pm

If the elements get damaged by being scratched by luggage etc it can cause local "necking" of the element. This will produce hot-spots in the glass. I have seen overheating of the connection point cause a screen to burst.
Timbo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Beaker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:23 am

Timbo wrote:If the elements get damaged by being scratched by luggage etc it can cause local "necking" of the element. This will produce hot-spots in the glass. I have seen overheating of the connection point cause a screen to burst.

That makes sense - if the track gets partly cut away the amperage will go right up. More amps, more heat.

If you look at the photo though, you can't see any tracks on the glass so they could br internal filaments like on windscreens?
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions