*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My custom won’t budge!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

My custom won’t budge!

Postby Karloscustomsport » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:25 am

Hi guys,

Just taken delivery of a new custom sport, love the van but seem to be having issues with it deciding to “lose power and lock up” (always at the worse time) it’s almost as if the hill assist kicks in while coming to a stop to allow oncoming traffic to pass a parked car, when I try and pull away the van will not move an inch and it starts to burn out the clutch, it makes no difference if i apply hand break, gas or foot brake, the only way to reset the issue is to turn the van off and re start, surely it’s not something I am doing wrong here? I will be contacting the dealer as it’s only done 116 miles and it 3 days old to me and happened 4 times now, plus I have an annoying rattle/clattering on one of the drop down roof bars.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Kind regards,
Karl.
Karloscustomsport
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: My custom won’t budge!

Postby ake » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:01 pm

Take it back .
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Karloscustomsport » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Ok so heres an update....the van got stuck blocking a junction and was glued to the floor sat morning on my way to work. Called ford assist and 2 hours later the AA arrive, he trys everything i had already done so then plugs in a tablet, fault codes suggest hill assist and abs not releasing. So 2 hours later the van is towed back to the dealership and i have a hire van. (Custom limited, 600mls on clock! quite nice as it goes and feels a lot nippier than the sport version i have just brought oddly!?)Still have no conformation ford have actually received my van and its not on its way to africa in a shipping container or something...?
Karloscustomsport
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:34 am

Since it's under warranty they, (Ford), have to sort it...

Could be something as simple as the clutch switch is loose or needs adjusting..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Karloscustomsport » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Got a my van back today, turns out to be a sensor of some sort and an adjustment on a gator? Either way so far seems to be fixed, and the roof rack has also been sorted, happy days. :D
Karloscustomsport
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:44 am

Sorted, and fairly quickly too :)

Happy days 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby the_big_fact_hunt » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:36 am

are you sure it went to a ford dealer? :lol:
Solve the World food problem.......... Feed the homeless to the hungry

2012 115T350
the_big_fact_hunt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Karloscustomsport » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Haha! :lol: they Evan threw in some floor mats for my trouble! Didn’t clean it tho :( I have looked into a product called gtechniq serum it’s a nano coating paint protection, not cheap but has good reviews.
Karloscustomsport
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Karloscustomsport » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:10 am

And the same issue has happened again! Only had it for 2 weeks! The van hasnt evan reached 300 miles yet! I think i will be handing back the keys and buying something else. Well hacked off! :evil:
Karloscustomsport
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: My custom won’t budge! Offered to swap but not sure what

Postby Karloscustomsport » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi every one,
So i went into the dealers yeaterday to collect the van yet again, i stated to the service department i wasnt best pleased with the situation and have lost quite a bit of faith in the van not to mention loss of earnings. I was advised to chat with the sales department (not in a fob off way in all fairness)
When chatting to the sales side and also the mechanic that did the work on my van, who seems to be fairly confident the issue has been resolved with the parts he has replaced (brake pedal switch and a few other electrial parts from what i can understand) i have been offerd either a full refund, not really what i would like to do as i do want a custom. Or i have been offered another model. I have got the van back at the moment as i am self employed do need to earn.
I got quite a few options thrown in which i didnt actually get charged for when placed the order due to the fact there was such a delay in delivery i was given another van they had lined up, most likely for someone else i guess but it was in the only colour i wanted the van in which was probably the biggest selling point for me. The options i have got include; factory sat nav, 240v socket, LED rear load compartment lights and the drop down roof bars.
If i take the swap it will mean changing insurance etc again but more importantly i'm not sure i will get the same amount of goodies thrown in again. so in your thoughts and experience would i be cutting my nose off to spite my face so to speak by not giving the van one more chance, i have been given a week to decide on what to do or try and regain some trust in the van. Your suggestions (sensible and humourous :? :lol: ) would be greatfully received.
Karl.
Karloscustomsport
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Skydiver1000 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 am

Mine has the Hill start not releasing, and there is another brake problem which is that they will self actuate when driving along. Ford warranty are ‘aware of the braking issue’ but do not have a resolution at this time. The advice is to go into the dash and switch off the hill start assist. Mine stays off all of the time but I am told that some vans need this to be switched off each time that it is started.
Skydiver1000

Postby perc666music » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Karloscustomsport wrote:Hi guys,

Just taken delivery of a new custom sport, love the van but seem to be having issues with it deciding to “lose power and lock up” (always at the worse time) it’s almost as if the hill assist kicks in while coming to a stop to allow oncoming traffic to pass a parked car, when I try and pull away the van will not move an inch and it starts to burn out the clutch, it makes no difference if i apply hand break, gas or foot brake, the only way to reset the issue is to turn the van off and re start, surely it’s not something I am doing wrong here? I will be contacting the dealer as it’s only done 116 miles and it 3 days old to me and happened 4 times now, plus I have an annoying rattle/clattering on one of the drop down roof bars.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Kind regards,
Karl.

Hi Karl

I have the same problems, the hill start has to be un ticked every time I start the vehicle, If I forget the vehicle suddenly lunges to a stop, the clutch stinks, a lorry piling up behind me, but if I am quick and un tick the vehicle releases itself and free wheels lovely. This is a pain and dangerous, it is claimed the hill start assist cannot be turned off permanently, Customer services rely too much on their technicians, yet AA mechanics are better trained, they are aware of this issue by Fords, apparently since 65 plate and still Fords do not have a patch to resolve, this very dangerous fault.
perc666music

Postby Joethebhoy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:07 am

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? My 2018 LWB custom has an issue where the brakes come on themselves at random intervals when driving. It is currently with Ford whi say they have not experienced the issue during road testing.
Joethebhoy

Postby knobby1 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:08 am

Joethebhoy wrote:Did you ever get to the bottom of this? My 2018 LWB custom has an issue where the brakes come on themselves at random intervals when driving. It is currently with Ford whi say they have not experienced the issue during road testing.

Original post was 4 years ago...best you start a new thread with your issue.

Lord Knobrot.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:14 am

knobby1 wrote: Original post was 4 years ago...best you start a new thread with your issue.
Lord Knobrot.

He already has.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=205841&p=1723645#p1723645
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions