*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

N7A and N3A engines.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

N7A and N3A engines.

Postby Brontasaurus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:06 am

OK, it seems that nobody knows where the crank angle sensor is located! (Please see my last post). Perhaps somebody can give me the contact of someone who knows about Ford N7A and N3A engines?
There seems to be bugger-all on YouTube or Google.
Surely someone must know something? After all; YOU ARE BRITISH !
Please respond to this ignorant Australian.
Brontasaurus
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: N7A and N3A engines.

Postby Altransit » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:57 am

Don't confuse being ignored with people not knowing the answer to your question :mrgreen: Most of us "clever" British run diesel engines, there are surprisingly few petrol Transits over here, although the engine is used in Ford cars as well.

I may be wrong, but wouldn't the crank sensor be in the same place as on a diesel engine i.e. on the bell housing adjacent to the flywheel :?: :?
Can you see a wiring loom heading in that direction :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Brontasaurus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks for your reply. Please don't confuse my remarks as being agro. They were just a pathetic Aussie attempt at humour! (Having a go at the poms)!
Yes, I understand what you say. I have three "Smiley" vans. Two petrol 2.0L and one former 2.5 Turbo diesel. It now runs a Chevrolet 5.7 LS1 motor.
Petrol is still fairly cheap in Australia. Today it was A$1.39/L but we don't expect that to last. (You will need to convert to Pounds or Euros). Diesel is about the same price but I never found my diesel van to be particularly economical.
I only have a Haynes manual to suit VG diesel engines. In there it says the crank angle sensor is situated just above the starter motor on the driver's side (RHD). One look from the top or bottom reveals it is as crowded as a Mumbai market. It seems I will need to access it from underneath, possibly removing the starter first.
So I was really just looking for somebody who actually knows....
Cheers, Bob M
Brontasaurus
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:00 pm

Brontasaurus wrote:Thanks for your reply. Please don't confuse my remarks as being agro. They were just a pathetic Aussie attempt at humour! (Having a go at the poms)!

Yes it's fine 8) I never bother replying to people who are looking for agro :P There is quite a bit of banter between us Poms, and you Aussies, on here :mrgreen:

Brontasaurus wrote: So I was really just looking for somebody who actually knows....

Sorry Bob, I'm not your man then, but maybe us bumping the thread may help to find someone who does know ........................ :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:13 pm

I've had a look in the parts list yesterday and I'm buggered if I can find the sensor itself....I did find the pick-up wheel which is bolted on the rear end of the crank, (#13 in the pic), it obviously doesn't get it's signal from the flywheel....so I can only assume the sensor is on the block somewhere "near" the rear of the crank.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I2NA%3D%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Brontasaurus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:45 pm

OK, thanks for that...
Brontasaurus
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Brontasaurus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:47 pm

No luck with my search for information on these engines guys.
Can someone please possibly point me in the direction of a UK repair shop familiar with Transit 16 valve petrol engines perhaps?
In Australia the Ford dealers don't want to know if a vehicle is more than a couple of years old. A 2000 model is considered "obsolete".
Other mechanics in Australia just hate Transit vans and won't stop moaning if you can even get them to work on them at all, which is difficult!
Cheers, Bob M
Brontasaurus
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions