*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

my transit has stopped starting again!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

my transit has stopped starting again!

Postby Pikeonhisbike » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm

Hello

Basically I have a ford tourneo 2004 2.0 TDCI 9seater van.. I brought the van running but the next day I went to start it and it didn't want to know, I soon found a can of easy start hidden in the van, after takeing the Airbox off I found it was full of easy start it poured out like a jug of water.... I replaced the crank sensor and fuel filter and the van started up lovely, i even went for a day out with the wife and kids in it.. It was running great for about 2 days and then this happend.... I was driving along at about 60mph and she randomly cut off, so I put the clutch in and released it and still nothing so I put the clutch in again and noticed the key wasn't in position properly so I turned the key forward more and the engine started again and I carried on my way..when I got home I turned it off and left it 5 mins and started it again, this time it took 3secs turning the key for it to start, so I repeated this a couple of times, each time it took longer to start, till eventually it didn't start and then the battery got flat untill the starter motor was just ticking....... So I charged the battery overnight and got new glow plugs fitted and a new airfilter but still she is just cranking but not running.... Can anyone help me please... Cheers pike
Pikeonhisbike
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: my transit has stopped starting again!

Postby andz327 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Pikeonhisbike wrote:Hello

Basically I have a ford tourneo 2004 2.0 TDCI 9seater van.. I brought the van running but the next day I went to start it and it didn't want to know, I soon found a can of easy start hidden in the van, after takeing the Airbox off I found it was full of easy start it poured out like a jug of water.... I replaced the crank sensor and fuel filter and the van started up lovely, i even went for a day out with the wife and kids in it.. It was running great for about 2 days and then this happend.... I was driving along at about 60mph and she randomly cut off, so I put the clutch in and released it and still nothing so I put the clutch in again and noticed the key wasn't in position properly so I turned the key forward more and the engine started again and I carried on my way..when I got home I turned it off and left it 5 mins and started it again, this time it took 3secs turning the key for it to start, so I repeated this a couple of times, each time it took longer to start, till eventually it didn't start and then the battery got flat untill the starter motor was just ticking....... So I charged the battery overnight and got new glow plugs fitted and a new airfilter but still she is just cranking but not running.... Can anyone help me please... Cheers pike
When you changed your fuel filter did you do as Ned said and check old filter for small bits of metal in it ?? Tdci mk6's are a bit of a nightmare mate unless it's been very well looked after and finding a can of easy (fook ma engine up) start ,this doesn't look as though it has
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pikeonhisbike » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm

No I haven't opened the filter up yet it's still sat outside my backdoor....that's if my wife hasn't got to it yet... What does metal bits in the filter mean? ..Cheers
Pikeonhisbike
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Brains_transit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Pikeonhisbike wrote:No I haven't opened the filter up yet it's still sat outside my backdoor....that's if my wife hasn't got to it yet... What does metal bits in the filter mean? ..Cheers

The metal bits come from a worn fuel pump
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Brains_transit wrote:
Pikeonhisbike wrote:No I haven't opened the filter up yet it's still sat outside my backdoor....that's if my wife hasn't got to it yet... What does metal bits in the filter mean? ..Cheers

The metal bits come from a worn fuel pump

Yes and they then block the injectors. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pikeonhisbike » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm

Are these metal bits noticeable or are they very fine?
Pikeonhisbike
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:31 pm

If you put a clean glass under your fuel filter and drain some off from the water drain on the bottom, it doesn't have to be loads just about 2 - 3 cm in the glass, you will see if any swarf (metal filing) are in the fuel, abit like glitter in water.

If no swarf present perform a leak off test on the injectors to see the health of them.

When you van attempted to kill you (which they do, evil b*stards) did the coil light flash?.

When you are trying to start the van does the coil light flash, a tdci will very rarely start with that evil light flashing and if it does you get a horrible diesel knock and no power. N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pikeonhisbike » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:39 pm

ned wrote:If you put a clean glass under your fuel filter and drain some off from the water drain on the bottom, it doesn't have to be loads just about 2 - 3 cm in the glass, you will see if any swarf (metal filing) are in the fuel, abit like glitter in water.

If no swarf present perform a leak off test on the injectors to see the health of them.

When you van attempted to kill you (which they do, evil b*stards) did the coil light flash?.

When you are trying to start the van does the coil light flash, a tdci will very rarely start with that evil light flashing and if it does you get a horrible diesel knock and no power. N

just emptied the filter and it was full of browny orange sludg but I didn't notice any metal in it.. i can't remember what lights where on when it happened I was a bit panicted at the time.....no it doesn't flash when trying to start... Cheers Ned
Pikeonhisbike
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Orange sludge :shock: That'll be rust from the water in the filter, it wont have done the pump and injectors much good.

I still think you have injector problems, do a leak back test to see.

Yes its bloody scary the first time the van shuts down doing 60+ on the motorway or over taking, I used to drop the clutch and restart the van on the key rather then bump starting it. N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pikeonhisbike » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:40 pm

ned wrote:Orange sludge :shock: That'll be rust from the water in the filter, it wont have done the pump and injectors much good.

I still think you have injector problems, do a leak back test to see.

Yes its bloody scary the first time the van shuts down doing 60+ on the motorway or over taking, I used to drop the clutch and restart the van on the key rather then bump starting it. N

Ah right.. What was wrong with your van when it was doing that?... How do I do a leak back test when it doesn't start? . Pike
Pikeonhisbike
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:52 pm

Oh yeah didn't think of that :oops:

My injectors were well and truly screwed plus I had a wiring fault from the pump, have you not seen my 'neds non running piece of............' Thread, I had the injector fault since the day I bought it 4 years ago, at first it would just cut out under hard acceleration but got gradually worse untill it cut out every 5 minutes.

Have you had the codes read?. N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pikeonhisbike » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 pm

No haven't had codes read yet... Any chance this could be an easy fix or is it definitely fuel pump or injectors? Pike
Pikeonhisbike
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:12 pm

To be honest its difficult to say with knowing what codes are stored, does it start and run on the go juice?.

I used to have to use the sleazy start every morning in winter to get the van going. N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pikeonhisbike » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:25 pm

I wouldn't say it started on easy start, it just made a loud clackity noise for a few seconds then shut off
Pikeonhisbike
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Pikeonhisbike wrote:I wouldn't say it started on easy start, it just made a loud clackity noise for a few seconds then shut off
How much water came out ? Refill filter and see if it goes
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions