*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Identity crisis!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Engine Identity crisis!

Postby greg1234 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Hello!!

Ive this here lovely little 2.5Di engine in my little boat that needs a jolly good service and new starter batterie(s? some had 2?), I'm also wondering about the logistics of adding another alternator so that I can have a split battery bank - one bank leisure the other starter. I can weld so have no trouble knocking up a bracket or two (Could also make some for anyone else if all works to plan)

I've seen gunslinger's post and can't for the life of me decipher the codes, I've got these numbers hopefully someone of you excellent members can shed some light so that I can get myself the correct manual and know more (I done even know how much oil to put in!!)

27D93
and
904F-6015-AA

I'm not sure if its a 93 model have no real idea as I've nothing else to go from besides these numbers.

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated,

Many Many thanks,

Greg.

PS
Pics to be added soon!
greg1234

Re: Engine Identity crisis!

Postby wojciech » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Red arrow - place where you can find engine code number, for example 4DA or 4BC etc.
If you will know this code number, you will can find on Transit Forum most important informations (about injectors, injection pump, timing belt etc.).

You don't need two alternators, one alternator can work for two batteries, during engine work both batteries are loaded, when engine doesn't work, batteries are separated (by special relay) and startmotor battery is safety against flat . This system works in many vans, in Transits in Euroline models.
In Transits Mk3,4 and 5 were mounted three different alternators - 55A, 70A and strongest over 90A. In your needs look for 70A or strongest one.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108135

wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DodgeRover » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Unless you need massive amounts of charging power it would be much simpler to add a split charge relay system to ensure the leisure batteries get charged but you can't accidentally flatten the starter battery.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:58 am

You may well find it hasn't got an engine number... being a boat it won't have the ford chassis no that matches.

On the engine under the inlet manifold will be a cast in number - what is it? There will also be one by the thermostat housing
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby greg1234 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Hey guys thanks for the info,

So I've noticed that there are no identifying marks on the place so kindly illustrated by wojciech, so I've attached a few pics to see if there's anything to be seen.

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

I'll have a look under the inlet manifold tomorrow morning see what I can see.

I was thinking about a split charging diode but have read about voltage drop issues and another the potential problem that if I do happen to have a flat engine start battery the current will be drawn through the domestic leisure batt bank and blowing the diode.

By far and away the most popular method (on the water) is to have dual alternators. although I'm more than open to other possibilities if there are any ideas...

Best,

Greg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greg1234

Postby greg1234 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks minormatt for that,

Pardon my ignorance but could so done be so kind as to point out the inlet manifold & the thermostat housing please?
There's a number 6 but I'm not sure if this bares any relavance.

Again mucho thanks I hope everyone had a happy Xmas & NYE

Best,

Greg
greg1234

Return to Technical Problems & Questions