*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.2 mk7 oil in intake pipes

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2.2 mk7 oil in intake pipes

Postby perkinoffs » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:59 pm

I have oil in every air pipe from the egr /inlet manifold through intercooler rad to the turbo...i at first thought turbo so replaced it with new one cleaned out the pipes jetted engine had the dpf exhaust cleaned apparently it was full...Garages are telling me to run engine fast on motorway to clear it,,none of my other transits are like this i am suspecting oil leaking from intercooler rad..any other suggestions before i blow!!!...
I dont want to spend for nothing on maybe this or that..she is using a litre of oil a week which is a bit much and a concern.However she is running perfect no warnings on dash no excessive smoke only on first full trottle power up a hill of that day there is a puff...cheers folks thinking caps on.
perkinoffs

Re: 2.2 mk7 oil in intake pipes

Postby knobby1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:23 am

DPF..?? You're machine is Euro-V..?? 2012 or later..??

The oil you're engine is using is probably going through the intake system via the crankcase breather...it first goes through the air filter piping, then turbo, then through the intercooler and into the inlet manifold and finally gets burnt in the engine. The oil often "pools" in the intercooler too, best to drain it otherwise your engine could/may runaway on it's own oil....then the oil consumption/problem will be the least of your problems.

Have you had your injector copper sealing washers checked or changed recently?? If they're ok...Methinks your engine is either very high mileage or it's shagged...or both.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby perkinoffs » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:08 pm

yes she is 2013 and mileage at 116,000 about 5,000 ago had new glow plugs at ford plus service .
is there a filter in the rocker cover on these as there is on mk6 2.4.
perkinoffs

Postby knobby1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:26 pm

perkinoffs wrote:yes she is 2013 and mileage at 116,000 about 5,000 ago had new glow plugs at ford plus service .
is there a filter in the rocker cover on these as there is on mk6 2.4.

Filter in the rocker cover..?? :? I don't think so....the only machines that have a "filter" in the rocker cover are the Mk7 2.4L 140 & 3.2L 200ps, this is a centrifugal oil filter though. There's no crankcase breather filter that I'm aware of.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby perkinoffs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:53 pm

sorry i did mean mk7 the other i have are 140 s.....Now i feel stupid..
I ll get her to the work shop and investigate the breather
let you know outcome cheers
perkinoffs

Postby ballihoo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:03 pm

I was just about to post a similar thing and saw this.
my oil has gone down recently and there is oil coming from rocker cover to air intake pipe. haven't checked in the intercooler yet but will try have a look at the weekend.
mines 90,000 2014 2.2.
how do the seals for injectors contribute to these things? are they easy to check?
Mk7 2.2 t350 tipper 2014
ballihoo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 pm

ballihoo wrote:I was just about to post a similar thing and saw this.
my oil has gone down recently and there is oil coming from rocker cover to air intake pipe. haven't checked in the intercooler yet but will try have a look at the weekend.
mines 90,000 2014 2.2.
how do the seals for injectors contribute to these things? are they easy to check?

When the copper injector seals leak or fail, the compression from the cylinders leaks out and pressurizes the rocker cover and hence crankcase more than would normally happen, all piston engines have "some" form of crankcase pressurization, this also contributes to the failure of the external rocker cover injector seals leaking....more crankcase pressure means more of the internal engine fumes going through the breather system and through the inlet tract, which in turn goes through the turbo, intercooler and inlet manifold, all this "may" contribute to excess oil consumption.

Euro-IV and Euro-V injectors are slightly different, Denso vs Seimens, but use a similar sealing method.

Are the copper seals easy to check..?? Not really, you can check to see if the injectors/clamps are snug or loose but the only real way to check the copper seals is to remove the injectors and physically look at them. The injector clamps may indeed be tight but the copper seals could be damaged or missing altogether and we'd be none the wiser. :(

Hopefully I've got most of this fairly correct, I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone if not.. :mrgreen:

HTH.. :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ballihoo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:15 pm

ahh the direct injection? okay yes makes sense thank you for explaining! very helpful.
yeh I was thinking/hoping that some sort of crank breather might be blocked or something that could be causing higher pressure in there.
are there any pipes that have a chance of doing that?
I might take it to ford and get them to have a proper look over it, ive not had it long and don't really trust the owner before!
Mk7 2.2 t350 tipper 2014
ballihoo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 pm

ballihoo wrote:ahh the direct injection? okay yes makes sense thank you for explaining! very helpful.
yeh I was thinking/hoping that some sort of crank breather might be blocked or something that could be causing higher pressure in there.
are there any pipes that have a chance of doing that?
I might take it to ford and get them to have a proper look over it, ive not had it long and don't really trust the owner before!

No, they're not "direct injection or TDDi", that's relatively old tech and "most" Mk6 and earlier machines are all TDDi or Di...All Mk7's and later are common rail with electronic injection, (TDCi), totally different, some Mk6 machines had TDCi engines but they were and still are a bit troublesome...(Que our Ned).. :wink:

Unlikely the breather is blocked, the breather pipe is ~19mm (3/4") in diameter....but sillier things have happened. All diesels tend to breath a bit of oil, it's just the nature of the beast, even the best running of engines will have some amount of oil in the intake system, remove one of the boost pipes and you see it will be wet with oil. I've fitted a 500ml breather catch can to mine to help eliminate as much as possible...but there's still a small amount which gets through as fumes.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:47 am

TDCI is still Direct Injection, fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber rather than Indirect being introduced into a interconnected sub chamber.

Pilot injection has refined DI 'injector ping' enough that Indirect is less used these days.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:17 am

Jim Archer wrote:TDCI is still Direct Injection, fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber rather than Indirect being introduced into a interconnected sub chamber.

Pilot injection has refined DI 'injector ping' enough that Indirect is less used these days.

Jim

Quite right you are...but the "Di" moniker doesn't get used on the Common rail engines these days...I wonder why..??

The pilot injection sure makes the common rail engines a lot quieter than the old Di engines though..!

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:36 am

knobby1 wrote:
Jim Archer wrote:TDCI is still Direct Injection, fuel is introduced directly into the combustion chamber rather than Indirect being introduced into a interconnected sub chamber.

Jim

Quite right you are...but the "Di" moniker doesn't get used on the Common rail engines these days...I wonder why..??

The pilot injection sure makes the common rail engines a lot quieter than the old Di engines though..!

Lord Knobrot

Knobby will ya stop outta dat :lol: Whats the meaning of CRDI down your way then,Come Running Dear Instantly :mrgreen:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Knobby will ya stop outta dat :lol: Whats the meaning of CRDI down your way then,Come Running Dear Instantly :mrgreen:

I hear ya champion :wink: :mrgreen: ....but most of the time they just call them "Common Rail"..rarely do we hear them say "Direct injection". :?

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions