*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Coolant leak 3.2l 5cyl

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Coolant leak 3.2l 5cyl

Postby frund » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:49 am

Hello all. My neighbour, who I help quite often, has a problem. His Transit 3.2L 5 cyl 2008 is loosing coolant, mostly on runs over 50 miles and up to 3 pints.
There is no visible sign of the leak looking under the bonnet. There does not seem to be any water or steam coming out of the exhaust although this may happen when pulling hard when hot.
When you rev the engine coolant can be seen returning to header tank. No sign of oil in water or oil contamination. The cap is new.

Any suggestions welcome.
frund
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Coolant leak 3.2l 5cyl

Postby andz327 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Thats a bad leak, no visible leaks from water pump etc then possible egr prob if its water cooled or the connecting metal pipe with the water jacket in it that connects non water cooled egr ( not sure whats on a 5pot) take hoses off and bypass using bit of pipe and see if that helps (similar idea to bypassing heater matrix)
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby motorman116 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:49 am

andz327 wrote:Thats a bad leak, no visible leaks from water pump etc then possible egr prob if its water cooled or the connecting metal pipe with the water jacket in it that connects non water cooled egr ( not sure whats on a 5pot) take hoses off and bypass using bit of pipe and see if that helps (similar idea to bypassing heater matrix)

If its like mine it has a EGR cooler pipe at the back of the engine..

I had the rubber sealing ring on the back of the pump that failed on mine, it goes around the plastic pipe that goes into the rear of the pump.
2008 3.2 5 pot diesel Ford Transit GLX Lwb, Hr
motorman116
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:28 am

If there's no visible signs of a leak it'll probably be the EGR cooler...the coolant will probably be going out the exhaust.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frund » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:01 pm

Sorry not to have come back earlier but...after bypassing EGR the problem was still there. He took it to a company in Albion road Wolverhampton who have a office in Towyn Wales. They stripped engine fitted new head amongst other things £3400 + vat and 10 weeks later he has it back. Ok first day out 1 week ago, now 400 miles later exactly the same. Bubbling up into header tank and using water. He is not a happy soul and a decent chap. I would say this was serious but engine runs fine.
this van is 2008 was this engine troublesome.
Any ideas
I am a bit concerned about the company 10 weeks turnaround, money up front they say 12 month or 12,000 miles we will see tomorrow.

thanks
frund
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby twin wheel camper » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:17 pm

frund wrote:Sorry not to have come back earlier but...after bypassing EGR the problem was still there. He took it to a company in Albion road Wolverhampton who have a office in Towyn Wales. They stripped engine fitted new head amongst other things £3400 + vat and 10 weeks later he has it back. Ok first day out 1 week ago, now 400 miles later exactly the same. Bubbling up into header tank and using water. He is not a happy soul and a decent chap. I would say this was serious but engine runs fine.
this van is 2008 was this engine troublesome.
Any ideas
I am a bit concerned about the company 10 weeks turnaround, money up front they say 12 month or 12,000 miles we will see tomorrow.

thanks

:shock: is a 2008 transit even worth £3400 + vat? I suppose it depends on what the rest of the van is like but I wouldn’t be putting that type of money into a 11 year old transit :?

Let’s hope they stand over it and get it sorted.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions