*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bonnet not locking

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Bonnet not locking

Postby BobH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 am

When I attempted to close the bonnet today, it would not lock properly. It remained on the first stop and will move up an inch or so. I usually drop it about 4 to 6 inches when I am closing it.What is the problem?
BobH
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Bonnet not locking

Postby mike10 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:48 am

I have that problem with mine.
The bolt that holds the lock in place works loose and instead of the latch engaging it just pushes the lock downwards and then the loop on the bottom of the bonnet doesn't reach far enough down to engage in the lock.
I take the grill off for access and then push the lock into position and tighten the bolts. I have to take the lock out on the mounting plate to get to the bolt that works loose on mine.
mike10
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:25 pm

What mike10 said....The bonnet catches can also suffer from a bit of corrosion etc and stick a bit....might pay to pull it out and give it a good clean, lube & adjust.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BobH » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:16 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. Took the bumper off today and tightened the lock. All working well now. Also took the chance to change the Ford Blue Oval which had lost all its colour.
BobH
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions