*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

05 connect battery light issue

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

05 connect battery light issue

Postby thomp1983 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi, a neighbour knocked on my door the other day and said his 2005 transit connect wouldn't start. Ok I'll have a look I says it's that time of year for battery failures etc.

Turn key engine just clicks, put battery on charge, next day van starts fine, use a multimeter to check charging output I get 12.5v going down to 11v with lights on ok system isn't charging, tell neighbour I'll look into it further. Google leads me here stating known issues with short loom from alternator to connection by fans, remove short loom strip plastic casing off, there is some wear to insulation on grey wire (pin1) but nothings broken and a continuity check shows everything to be conductive. I then strip the other half of the loom as far back as the airbox again all is well inform neighbour he needs to source an alternator.

Recieved the new alternator today, fitted it and now both my multimeter and obd reader show it's putting 14.7v into the battery, that's a bit more like it but the battery light is now coming on after 30 seconds of startup, it didn't before.

I've checked the following,

Calcium battery fitted and charged (12.5v with everything off)

3 pin alternator plug removed, ignition switched on

Pin 1 grey 10v
Pin 2 blue 0v
Pin 3 red 12.5v

3 pin alternator plug removed, engine running

Pin 1 10v
Pin 2 0v
Pin 3 14.7v

The above confirms the alternator was faulty but there is also an issue with the smart charge system putting the light on, where is the pcm located on this model connect? What pin numbers are the grey and blue wires at the pcm my next step is probably to bypass both those wires at the pcm to confirm if there's any issues in the wiring, the red wire from the 3 appears to be functioning correctly so that leaves pins 1 or 2 causing the issue unless anyone else has any other ideas?

Thanks
Chris
thomp1983

Re: 05 connect battery light issue

Postby karl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:11 pm

BROKEN WIRE :D

From the alternator to the loom will be the blue one
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby thomp1983 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Fixed this today, turned out to be the wiring plug between the short loom to the alternator and the main loom on the car was faulty. Cut the connector out and soldered the wires together and the light now stays off
thomp1983

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 pm

thomp1983 wrote:Fixed this today, turned out to be the wiring plug between the short loom to the alternator and the main loom on the car was faulty. Cut the connector out and soldered the wires together and the light now stays off

Result...!! :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 pm

knobby1 wrote:
thomp1983 wrote:Fixed this today, turned out to be the wiring plug between the short loom to the alternator and the main loom on the car was faulty. Cut the connector out and soldered the wires together and the light now stays off

Result...!! :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

very common they do break at the plug and its normally the blur wire at the connector end :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Return to Technical Problems & Questions