*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Previous Fault codes from a removed ECU Mk7

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Previous Fault codes from a removed ECU Mk7

Postby nznikin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 am

I pulled out the engine from my Transit before I had the sense to check the powertrain dash light that had popped up. Is it possible to plug in my ECU back into the Van to read the previous codes or does the engine need to be back in? I'm aware that I will get a number of faults as... the engine is still out. I'm hoping I can fix the powertrain light fault before the engine has to go back in as it may be the EGR which is a lot easier to get to at the moment. Cheers.
2011 2.4L RWD Duratorq-DI (115PS) – Puma, 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Previous Fault codes from a removed ECU Mk6

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 pm

nznikin wrote:I pulled out the engine from my Transit before I had the sense to check the powertrain dash light that had popped up. Is it possible to plug in my ECU back into the Van to read the previous codes or does the engine need to be back in? I'm aware that I will get a number of faults as... the engine is still out. I'm hoping I can fix the powertrain light fault before the engine has to go back in as it may be the EGR which is a lot easier to get to at the moment. Cheers.

Umm....you signature says 2011..?? If so it will be a Mk7 not a Mk6.

Either way, I doubt you'll be able to do the PCM erase properly, there's just too many sensor connections and earths missing when the engine is out.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nznikin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:50 pm

knobby1 wrote:
nznikin wrote:I pulled out the engine from my Transit before I had the sense to check the powertrain dash light that had popped up. Is it possible to plug in my ECU back into the Van to read the previous codes or does the engine need to be back in? I'm aware that I will get a number of faults as... the engine is still out. I'm hoping I can fix the powertrain light fault before the engine has to go back in as it may be the EGR which is a lot easier to get to at the moment. Cheers.

Umm....you signature says 2011..?? If so it will be a Mk7 not a Mk6.

Either way, I doubt you'll be able to do the PCM erase properly, there's just too many sensor connections and earths missing when the engine is out.

Lord Knobrot

My mistake, darn typo... why did they have to put 6 and 7 together on the keyboard?! :lol:

I see I see... do you think I might be able to at least be able to turn the ECU on to the point that I could possible read previous codes? ie: the powertain light that was on the dash? if say I was able to at least connect the earths back up and leave the engine sensors disconnected?

Cheers,
Nick
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Why did you remove engine ?
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 pm

nznikin wrote:My mistake, darn typo... why did they have to put 6 and 7 together on the keyboard?! :lol:

I see I see... do you think I might be able to at least be able to turn the ECU on to the point that I could possible read previous codes? ie: the powertain light that was on the dash? if say I was able to at least connect the earths back up and leave the engine sensors disconnected? Cheers, Nick

I'm afraid I just don't know, never tried with an engine out or not connected etc.. :? :|

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nznikin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm

andz327 wrote:Why did you remove engine ?

Im re-painting the engine bay. As well as replacing a few rusty components.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 pm

nznikin wrote:

While you have the engine out it might pay to fit a new EGR anyway, they're a ball-ache to get at with the engine in.... they can be troublesome sometimes.

If the clutch/DMF has a few miles on, it may be worth looking at that too...

Was she running OK before pulling the engine..??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:36 pm

knobby1 wrote:
nznikin wrote:My mistake, darn typo... why did they have to put 6 and 7 together on the keyboard?!

I see I see... do you think I might be able to at least be able to turn the ECU on to the point that I could possible read previous codes? ie: the powertain light that was on the dash? if say I was able to at least connect the earths back up and leave the engine sensors disconnected? Cheers, Nick

I'm afraid I just don't know, never tried with an engine out or not connected etc.. :? :|

Lord Knobrot
Would imagine it would throw up a million faut codes if the engine isn't in and connected
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 pm

andz327 wrote:Would imagine it would throw up a million faut codes if the engine isn't in and connected

It'll probably just throw it's hands up in the air and say..."Where's the engine..?" :wink:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nznikin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:50 pm

knobby1 wrote:
nznikin wrote:

While you have the engine out it might pay to fit a new EGR anyway, they're a ball-ache to get at with the engine in.... they can be troublesome sometimes.

If the clutch/DMF has a few miles on, it may be worth looking at that too...

Was she running OK before pulling the engine..??

Lord Knobrot

Yeah she was running fine as far as I can tell. But yeah like you said. Best to replace the EGR anyways. Yeah I intend to do the clutch as well. Make things easier for my future self. :lol:
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby nznikin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 pm

knobby1 wrote:
andz327 wrote:Would imagine it would throw up a million faut codes if the engine isn't in and connected

It'll probably just throw it's hands up in the air and say..."Where's the engine..?" :wink:

Lord Knobrot

Yeah thats what im thinking aswell. I might have a go anyway and see how she fairs. If well ill be sure to post the results here for anyone who's interested.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22 am

nznikin wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Yeah thats what im thinking aswell. I might have a go anyway and see how she fairs. If well ill be sure to post the results here for anyone who's interested.

I'm suspecting as Andz does...you'll get a million codes...then once you refit the engine, you'll need to erase them all anyway. Find out which ones were present before removing the engine will be an issue, not easy I'd suggest. IDS does store historic codes....and will possibly say if they're still current or no longer active.

Personally I'd wait till you get the engine back in and running again then see what codes, (if any), pop up..!

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nznikin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:50 am

knobby1 wrote:I'm suspecting as Andz does...you'll get a million codes...then once you refit the engine, you'll need to erase them all anyway. Find out which ones were present before removing the engine will be an issue, not easy I'd suggest. IDS does store historic codes....and will possibly say if they're still current or no longer active.

Personally I'd wait till you get the engine back in and running again then see what codes, (if any), pop up..!

Lord Knobrot

Thanks Lord Knobrot. Very useful information. I might just go that route. Replace the EGR and wait till the engine goes back in to evaluate whether the powertrain light goes away and what might be causing it. I suspect its carbon build up in the EGR. Not sure if its been replaced since factory. Van has 209km on the engine.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 am

nznikin wrote:Thanks Lord Knobrot. Very useful information. I might just go that route. Replace the EGR and wait till the engine goes back in to evaluate whether the powertrain light goes away and what might be causing it. I suspect its carbon build up in the EGR. Not sure if its been replaced since factory. Van has 209km on the engine.

Yep, a good plan...although I don't know if the "powertrain" light will go away, they usually remain on until the offending item has been repaired/replaced and the offending code/s have been erased. There's two types of EGR for the 2.2, 2.4 & 3.2 engines...the later "Black" one is the one to go for, they appear to be slightly better quality for longevity etc...

This one:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-TRANSI ... SwIVhaISer

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Previous Fault codes from a removed ECU Mk7

Postby nznikin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 am

knobby1 wrote:
nznikin wrote:Thanks Lord Knobrot. Very useful information. I might just go that route. Replace the EGR and wait till the engine goes back in to evaluate whether the powertrain light goes away and what might be causing it. I suspect its carbon build up in the EGR. Not sure if its been replaced since factory. Van has 209km on the engine.

Yep, a good plan...although I don't know if the "powertrain" light will go away, they usually remain on until the offending item has been repaired/replaced and the offending code/s have been erased. There's two types of EGR for the 2.2, 2.4 & 3.2 engines...the later "Black" one is the one to go for, they appear to be slightly better quality for longevity etc...

This one:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-TRANSI ... SwIVhaISer

Lord Knobrot

Cheers, I will purchase this one and put it in. The current one installed is also black, looks like the original as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions