*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Another MK 7 limp mode problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Another MK 7 limp mode problem

Postby mark@netgenix.co.uk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:18 pm

HELP PLEASE.

I live in france and have 2012 2.2dci 100bhp SWB medium hi top van that has covered 163k miles. when returning from the UK recently the van showed a fault light (cog with exclamation mark) and then the MIL came on, we slowed down and 'limped' home. I took the van to a local Ford service agent and was told that I had 2 problems, 1) No4 glow plug and 2) DPF - full.

After 6 weeks and the following list of parts

New battery ?
2 * DPF temperature sensors
4 * glow plugs
DPF cleaning
DPF pressure sensor
New diesel filter

the van was returned to me, with the explanation it was 'nickel', that's French for as good as new! within 20 mins the cog light was back on when asking for a bit extra when going uphill. Stop and engine restart cleared the fault, but, it would re-occur erratically sometimes after 20 mins sometimes 3 or 4 times in quick succession and even sometimes when going downhill! after persevering for a few days the MIL came on and stayed on with the above fault coming and going. when I returned to the garage I was told there was now an EGR problem, I changed the EGR valve. Today after having all faults cleared etc. I returned to work (a distance of approx. 1 mile) parked the van, when I got in tonight to come home the fault reappeared within a further mile with the engine cold.

Now, call me a cynical old git, BUT, there is another customer that has exactly the same problem with his 63 plate custom having had the same repair carried out by the same mechanic at the same time. Does anybody out there have any software 'fixes' as it appears to me this problem must be electrical as it resets with a stop/start?

Sorry cant help with any fault codes as didn't get chance to look at the PC when connected.

Thanks for any pointers as this is getting under my skin now!
mark@netgenix.co.uk

Re: Another MK 7 limp mode problem

Postby Punto443 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:05 pm

The wiring to the dpf sensors is prone to fault.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby nznikin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 am

mark@netgenix.co.uk wrote:HELP PLEASE.

I live in france and have 2012 2.2dci 100bhp SWB medium hi top van that has covered 163k miles. when returning from the UK recently the van showed a fault light (cog with exclamation mark) and then the MIL came on, we slowed down and 'limped' home. I took the van to a local Ford service agent and was told that I had 2 problems, 1) No4 glow plug and 2) DPF - full.

New battery ?
4 * glow plugs
DPF cleaning
DPF pressure sensor
New diesel filter

the van was returned to me, with the explanation it was 'nickel', that's French for as good as new! within 20 mins the cog light was back on when asking for a bit extra when going uphill. Stop and engine restart cleared the fault, but, it would re-occur erratically sometimes after 20 mins sometimes 3 or 4 times in quick succession and even sometimes when going downhill! after persevering for a few days the MIL came on and stayed on with the above fault coming and going. when I returned to the garage I was told there was now an EGR problem, I changed the EGR valve. Today after having all faults cleared etc. I returned to work (a distance of approx. 1 mile) parked the van, when I got in tonight to come home the fault reappeared within a further mile with the engine cold.

Now, call me a cynical old git, BUT, there is another customer that has exactly the same problem with his 63 plate custom having had the same repair carried out by the same mechanic at the same time. Does anybody out there have any software 'fixes' as it appears to me this problem must be electrical as it resets with a stop/start?

Sorry cant help with any fault codes as didn't get chance to look at the PC when connected.

Powertrain light (cog with exclamation mark) is usually fuel system so injectors, prv, valves, pcm etc
Run some codes if you can.

This will read your van.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Forscan ... rmvSB=true
Forscan program(free). http://www.forscan.org/download.html
2011 2.4L RWD Duratorq-DI (115PS) – Puma, 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.
nznikin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:22 pm

nznikin wrote:
mark@netgenix.co.uk wrote:HELP PLEASE.

New battery ?
4 * glow plugs
DPF cleaning
DPF pressure sensor
New diesel filter

Powertrain light (cog with exclamation mark) is usually fuel system so injectors, prv, valves, pcm etc
Run some codes if you can.

This will read your van.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Forscan ... rmvSB=true
Forscan program(free). http://www.forscan.org/download.html

no pro or scv on this van
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby ake » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Punto443 wrote:The wiring to the dpf sensors is prone to fault.

thats where id put my money
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby 0205610843 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 pm

So I am in the same boat. Have had the PDF regenerated manually and the atomiser or whatever it's called replace at a cost of £500. Cog light on again straight away on driving 2 miles. Bloke in the garage about to have a nervous breakdown as the vans been in about 10 times and problem will simply not go away after throwing approx £1k at it over the last few months. Like some other I'm tempted to get rid of the van as there seems no end to this whole nightmare.

Has anyone had the cog light problem fixed so it runs ok after the initial problem? Mine now comes on then goes off after a while but I know this is just saving a problem up for the future.

I really want my money back from the garage but deep down know it's not their fault.

Return to Technical Problems & Questions