*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Stuck on the road with a leaking radiator hose!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Stuck on the road with a leaking radiator hose!

Postby Jaffasoft » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:30 am

bulls in transit wrote:I’d be looking for anything in town that would do as an internal tube for pipe to cut and put where split is and two jubilee clips(mechanic should have these)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did this exact thing. Good idea got me out of trouble I hadn't thought that and might not of.

Walked in town two miles and asked at a house and cut a piece of pipe of the old trampoline it fits in the pipe perfectly and then to the servo and bought four clamps, cut the hose and did a join and reinstalled. Might be a temp fix or could even better then it was. Job cost 10 bucks. Luckily it wasn't too much more extreme. Plenty offered to help it's great that that Aussie spirit is still their ppl offering to help when ya stuck. Thanks for your support and help!

Will run the cap loosened a bit now on. I put two inches each side of the join and four good quality screw clamps around them it's probably better then it was now. Will monitor it seems might be right now, haven't driven it yet. Pretty hot part of the day here midday!
DIY Custom Campervan. 2003 Ford Transit Van VJ(MK6) 125 T350, LWB | RWD. Reco Engine:H9FA, 2005:2.4L, 135PS, kW101, 3500RPM. Finding and project managing profitable "Splitter Block" JV deals in Brisbane for property investors.
Jaffasoft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bulls in transit » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 am

Nice one,good when a breakdown just becomes a mini adventure break in a leisure cruse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jaffasoft » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:40 am

I've taken this Van for a decent drive the last couple of days it went fine, by today i got into some hills and ranges. Look ed down and noticed the gauge was going up fast there was a car park just in time as the needle was going up 3/4. It was bubbling away when i stopped.

Do you think something else is going? It took 6 ltrs of water while it was idolling. I've been running it was the cap very loose and put a towel over the cap so it doesn't rattle completely loose and fall off. I've never run it with the cap off this long so maybe it's that. Interested to hear thoughts.
DIY Custom Campervan. 2003 Ford Transit Van VJ(MK6) 125 T350, LWB | RWD. Reco Engine:H9FA, 2005:2.4L, 135PS, kW101, 3500RPM. Finding and project managing profitable "Splitter Block" JV deals in Brisbane for property investors.
Jaffasoft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jim Archer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 am

Loose cap has allowed the coolant to boil off - the pressure cap is there to prevent this in normal use.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jaffasoft » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 pm

Jim Archer wrote:Loose cap has allowed the coolant to boil off - the pressure cap is there to prevent this in normal use.

Jim
Alright, thank you.
Jaffasoft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:43 pm

RACQ membership?
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jaffasoft » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:13 am

No RACQ!

When this van broke down last time RACV put us up in a motel only because my mate was using my Van at the time to drive to a shearing shed outback and my mate happens to have his own cover. We spent a weekend in the motel and the RACN could not fix it so it was put on the back of a toe truck and transported 8hr drive down to my home where I replaced the water pump and fixed it myself.

I tend to try to fix any problem myself generally but might be an idea take Australia wide cover. I think you can is stuck on the spot and sign up I worst case scenario. I've gone 28 yrs and not needed them so far!

Usually, i get great info from this forum and tackle the problem.
Jaffasoft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jaffasoft » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:13 am

Just remembered i filled up with water out the bush repair job. Coolant would help :shock:. I turned around into the nearest town and bought up some supplies.
Jaffasoft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jaffasoft » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 am

I let the cap off for the next little drive and get some old water out then got 4 ltrs of coolant anti freeze/anti boil in. Then from then on had the cap secured tight and drove it. On the flat rds, the temp gauge seems steady but once, I did a few miles and went up a long slow hill (not a steep hill but a but a few miles long and a bit of a trawl). By the time got to the top the guage was going up 1/4. Just at the top hill could see the gauge rocketing up fast so stopped immediately. I was able to stop on the side the rd where I am now and just chilling I can buy more coolant in this town think. I released the cap very slowly and there was a lot of pressure and water came out a bit.

I'm starting to wonder if something has caused all this problem right from the first instance when it broke down. The getting hotter then normal may have caused the old water pipe to go under pressure and finally popped a hole in the side of the rubber a weak spot.

I haven't done a whole lot of big distance traveling since. I replaced a water pump about two years ago so it should be good but I'm thinking maybe by chance it's packed it in again.!?
Then I wonder if because it's only got 4 ltrs on coolant that it's not enough and that I should keep putting more coolant in up till the ratio is more coolant then water and all coolant eventually.

I feel like I am at the point of a major breakdown if I down sort it out. Either another radiator hose will burst or the running hot will damage something else. Any thoughts on what might be happening and how to trouble shoot a solution??
Jaffasoft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Sounds like your thermostat is not working well....remove it and see if the problem persists...if not you've found your issue, if the problem persists you need to look elsewhere.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jaffasoft » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:56 pm

knobby1 wrote:Sounds like your thermostat is not working well....remove it and see if the problem persists...if not you've found your issue, if the problem persists you need to look elsewhere.

Lord Knobrot
Dumb question but I've never seen the thermostat before where is it?
Jaffasoft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 am

Did you wait till it cooled down before you put water in it after you broke down :?: Hot Transit cyl heads don't like cold water :(
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jaffasoft » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:11 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:Did you wait till it cooled down before you put water in it after you broke down :?: Hot Transit cyl heads don't like cold water :(
I very slowly dribbled water in to fill it while it was idling when it was hot the first time so I could drive it couple hundred meters off the roadside any other time it's been parked overnight and cold when refilling the radiator. The motor seems to sound the same as it has been.
Jaffasoft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 am

I reckon you have a cracked cyl head :(
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jaffasoft » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:36 am

Why would it have a cracked head? I was always taught by my old man if I ever have a hot radiator to refill if very slowly dribble a little bit of water at a time and while the motor is idling over so that any change in temperature does not crack the head. I did it with any the old Holdens I had and never cracked a head. This runs and drives the same as it did wouldn't a cracked head stop the motor or change it noticeably!?

Seems to me like the water must not be flowing around the motor properly because this is what cools motors so I'm hoping it is the thermo when i find it as that seem a logical solution it that's blocked then water could not flow. If water wasn't flowing because of the thermo then filing radiator would not go the head as much too.
Jaffasoft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions