*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ttansit break in

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Ttansit break in

Postby Knackeredknuckles » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum and am hoping you guys might be able to help me out of a pickle.I've got an old R reg transit crewcab tipper 2.5di,which hasn't been used for about 4 months and has a sorn notice on it and no current insurance.Last week,tuesday night to be precise,and the night before my mother was to have a critical life saving operation of all times,two dick dastardlies had broken into my truck and were in the process of trying to hot wire it.It woke me up and i shouted out of the bedroom window that it might be to their advantage to get lost,or words to that effect :).Having only just had a chance to have a good look at the damage it is as follows.The lower plastic cowling has gone walkies,they.ve broken the casting that contains the steering/ignition locks and that fits around the steering column and the steering lock has gone missing as has the ignition switch.Theyve also been messing around with the transponder ring that fits around the ignition switch,they carved some of the plastic away and have exposed the thin copper cables within and cut through the majority of them.I don't understand a great deal about these things,but what i know is that the police took away a block connector with some cut cables sticking out of it,i believe it came out of the ignition switch,they also took away a cable from under the bonnet that they had attached to the battery and presumably were using it to touch the starter motor with to turn it over.Ive spoken to SBS at Ipswich(seems like a nice old boy),he can do me a second hand casting with a steering lock and new ignition switch and presumably keys to go with the new lock,along with a new quaterlight which is how they got in.I'm no mechanic but i'm sure i can fit all of these myself,question is am i likely to have a problem with the immobiliser,if so can i bypass it to at least get it so its useable once more? thanks.PS my apologies for the life story.
Knackeredknuckles

Re: Ttansit break in

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 pm

You'll need the chips from your original keys to put in the 'new' keys, and possibly a new transponder ring as those are the only things you've mentioned that affect the immobiliser.
Did they interfere with or damage the RIM module on the back of the injection pump :?: If they did, that will need sorting too.
If they've damaged the ignition switch or the wiring, then that will have to be sorted before it will crank over.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Knackeredknuckles » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly,i'll check the injection pump tomorrow to see if its been damaged at all.The block connector that plugs into the ignition switch connector seems to be ok and as i'm putting a replacement ignition switch in i'm hoping it will at least turn over to begin with.I'll ask the breaker for a new transponder ring when i pick up the other parts.I had an ignition keycard to a Renault repaired by someone who advertises on ebay,i'll ask him if he could swap the chips over for me,he was very reasonable on the keycard,£30 repair as opposed to £250 for Renault to supply a new card tow the car in and programme the new card to the car yikes!!!.
Knackeredknuckles

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:39 pm

It's really easy to swap the chips, just prise them gently out of the key tops and push them in to their new home. You can always tape the old key next to the transponder just to see if everything works OK, but remember the security is compromised when you've done this :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Knackeredknuckles » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 pm

Great,thanks for the tip.Just so i know we are on the same sheet,we are talking about the small red coloured bit at the top of the key?, pardon my ignorance :roll: .If i tape the old key to the transponder and crank the engine with the 'new' key wouldn't that give the transponder a confused signal ,what i mean is if i try that does the transponder have to be a distance away from the 'new' key when i try?
Knackeredknuckles

Postby Knackeredknuckles » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:31 pm

I think i see what you mean now,take the chip out of the new key and before replacing it tape the old key to the transponder and crank the engine with the chipless new key
Knackeredknuckles

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Yes, it is the small red chip, and yes, take out the one in the new key in case the signal gets confused, (but it may be ok) :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Knackeredknuckles » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 pm

I'll try this out over the weekend and let you know how i get on many thanks.
Knackeredknuckles

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:40 am

Do you have 2 keys for it? If so its dead easy to programme the new keys in.

Whereabouts are you?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:20 pm

He may struggle with that Matt :(
Knackeredknuckles wrote:,they.ve broken the casting that contains the steering/ignition locks and that fits around the steering column and the steering lock has gone missing as has the ignition switch.
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 pm

????

All you need as a working PATS system... no need to have to turn any key in the ignition...

Or you could buy a barrel for about £25 from Ford and build it up to suit the original key (s) - no need to programme new ones at all then!

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:08 pm

When its all built back up and new key does what it should etc...

Take PATS ring off and dangle loose. Put 1st old key in ring, turn ign to pos 2. Turn off, repeat for 2nd old key.

Put PATS ring back around barrel turn new key to posn 2 (within 10s) and off. Repeat for 2nd/3rd etc new key

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Knackeredknuckles » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi folks,
Many thanks folks for all of your replies.Sorry i've been so long getting back to you but i've only just found the time to sort this out after some family matters.I've fitted the new second hand barrel/steering lock and wired it up to the harness with a new second hand block connector.Fitted the new second hand transponder ring that came with the barrel.Tried turning it over just to see whether it would start at just that but got nothing.Got the ignition lights but nothing else.And so i did as advised and placed the old ignition key onto the transponder ring,and after a bit of argy bargy as it hadn't been started for so long,rigging jump leads from my car and a fair few false starts,its now turning over and running just fine,I've cut the steel part off of the old ignition key and glued the plastic bit to the new second hand ignition key for the time being as i'm a bit wary about messing about with the chips.MinorMatt i'm a bit confused by your last post,is it a description of how to programme my new secondhand key to the immobiliser?,if so i'll give it a try or i may just try and swap the chips at some point as i have two old keys and so if i cock it up i've still at least got the other one.Once again thanks for all of your advice.
Knackeredknuckles

Return to Technical Problems & Questions