*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What's this called and where can I get one?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

What's this called and where can I get one?

Postby tony boadle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm

I have a motorhome based on a 2004 125 T350. I lifted the bonnet yesterday to disconnect the Winter battery charger, and saw that it had slipped back and sheared off the small glass-like primer pump ( Is it called a primer or a sensor?) on top of the fuel filter. I've hopefully attached pics of the part. Anyway, I did a temporary fix with a good collar of epoxy, and re-fitted the part. Engine wouldn't start, so I inserted a small rod through the hole in the rubber cap, and pumped it up and down for a minute. Still no start. So here are my questions:
1) What's it called?
2) Can I buy one, new or s/h, in the UK? (I'm in rural West Cork,Ireland,the Ford dealer is miles away, and I rang they said I'd have to buy the whole filter unit!!!)
3) Should I have primed for longer, is there a bleed screw, and if so, where is it?
4) One local mechanic suggested I fit a blanking bolt in place of the part, as a short or even long-term fix. Stupid idea or not?
5) Finally, assuming that my problem is similar to running out of fuel and re-filling, surely the primer should be sufficient to enable a re-start?
Thanks in advance for advice/suggestions/offers of replacement part!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tony boadle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: What's this called and where can I get one?

Postby motorman116 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 pm

That's not a primer, Its an indicator of when the Fuel filter requires changing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT- ... SwmRFaafl9

2004 fuel filter housing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 3.2 5 pot diesel Ford Transit GLX Lwb, Hr
motorman116
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby tony boadle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:24 pm

How stupid am I ? It's so obvious now, thankfully no-one saw me relentlessly pumping the plunger up and down, waiting for the diesel fuel to appear!
OK, let's never talk of this again.
This would explain why a mechanic told me I could blank the hole temporarily....until I can source a cheap enough replacement.
My next question then is, bearing in mind I turned the engine a few times before I saw the damaged sensor, what's the best way now to purge the air and get it running?
(once the blanking bolt is fitted)
Thanks so much for your assistance, and please don't tell my wife. She already thinks I'm an idiot.
tony boadle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:47 pm

tony boadle wrote:...and please don't tell my wife. She already thinks I'm an idiot.

Welcome to my world..! :wink: :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:08 am

Idiot .....hehehe
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:04 am

andz327 wrote:Idiot .....hehehe

Oi...I resemble that remark.. :wink:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby grogan197 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:49 pm

tony boadle wrote:2) Can I buy one, new or s/h, in the UK? (I'm in rural West Cork,Ireland,the Ford dealer is miles away, and I rang they said I'd have to buy the whole filter unit!!!)
3) Should I have primed for longer, is there a bleed screw, and if so, where is it?
4) One local mechanic suggested I fit a blanking bolt in place of the part, as a short or even long-term fix. Stupid idea or not?
5) Finally, assuming that my problem is similar to running out of fuel and re-filling, surely the primer should be sufficient to enable a re-start?

I'd just stick a bolt in the hole as you don't need the sensor anyway. I've only seen the housing for sale as a full unit on ebay and you'd be looking at £40ish there or £120+ from ford

You can slacken the nuts off the top of each injector and then turn over the engine to bleed the air out the system. Your not meant to do it this way as the fuel is at a high pressure but I've done it this way when changing injectors and had no issue, the fuel just dribbles out round the top of each nut then you can tighten them back up then. Do be aware that the fuel reaches dangerously high pressure levels in normal operation but the fact the fuel has somewhere to leak to stops the pressure building to such high levels.
2006 MK6 2.0 125 TDCI - Luton Camper Conversion
2007 MK7 2.2 110 TDCI SWB

Ford Diagnostics
Where to buy an ELM327 and how to use with ForScan
grogan197
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tony boadle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:35 am

Thanks for all the replies, finally sorted today. A two man job!
PS: And I stuck a bolt in the hole. (That's not a euphemism relating to my wife BTW)
tony boadle
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions