*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Noises

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Noises

Postby Mad Husky » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Help needed to identify some noises, I bought this van back in December Transit 2.4 Rwd 2006 Mk6 198000 miles the first noise was there when I bought it, changed the oil and filter at 195 thou no nasty surprises present in the oil or filter middle January second noise appears I quickly spot what i thought was the fault silencer outer skin hanging off but exhaust still in one piece. So removed also fixed the heat shield in the transmission tunnel which was also hanging off noise still present no idea what it is well I suspect clutch and gearbox all gears select up but down is another matter only gear that has no noise is 4th when changing down.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p2JLz ... _tdRJi_rQi startup noise.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cAWjH ... QA1wLN7K6g driving noise.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Noises

Postby knobby1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Oh dear....sounds like she may be in the process of possibly throwing a gudgeon/little end..Or even a big end. :( :?

Does the oil light come on at idle when warm..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mad Husky » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:47 pm

No engine oil pressure appears fine it wasn't connected as I believe a replacement engine has been installed at some point as part of the connector was still on the sender. I sorted it out at 1500 revs the noise goes there were no nasties in the oil no metal particles but servicing was not a priority for the previous owners by the look of it the engine runs smooth other than this I think the sound when running is the clutch destroying itself. I have a varying biting point.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 am

Has it got a Dual Mass Flywheel :?: They make an awful rattling noise when they're breaking up :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Mad Husky » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Pass Don't know there is an entry in the service book at 185 thou saying solid flywheel that's it doesn't say if the rest of the clutch was done, and no idea if was changed after this I bought the van with 195 thou on it but it could have done more as it had an electrical fault where the clocks cut out then on again the noise when driving only started last week i suspected low gearbox oil but UK weather has put paid to me getting under the van I have no garage so it's the garden. and trying to spot the level port there is a slight leak on the output shaft but it is only a weep. I just checked I am lying the book says in a scribble new clutch solid flywheel at 193 thou back in feb 2015.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Mad Husky wrote:Pass Don't know there is an entry in the service book at 185 thou saying solid flywheel that's it doesn't say if the rest of the clutch was done, and no idea if was changed after this I bought the van with 195 thou on it but it could have done more as it had an electrical fault where the clocks cut out then on again the noise when driving only started last week i suspected low gearbox oil but UK weather has put paid to me getting under the van I have no garage so it's the garden. and trying to spot the level port there is a slight leak on the output shaft but it is only a weep. I just checked I am lying the book says in a scribble new clutch solid flywheel at 193 thou back in feb 2015.

If it's got a solid flywheel and still making those noises, I'd be well worried. :(

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mad Husky » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 pm

I am worried I have seen the price of a gearbox getting too old to be messing under vehicles I can do the job just not looking forward to it, I have decided to change the timing chain on the off chance that's the first noise on startup. As previous owners were lax a daisy on maintenance i think it's a good idea.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:24 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Mad Husky wrote:Pass Don't know there is an entry in the service book at 185 thou saying solid flywheel that's it doesn't say if the rest of the clutch was done, and no idea if was changed after this I bought the van with 195 thou on it but it could have done more as it had an electrical fault where the clocks cut out then on again the noise when driving only started last week i suspected low gearbox oil but UK weather has put paid to me getting under the van I have no garage so it's the garden. and trying to spot the level port there is a slight leak on the output shaft but it is only a weep. I just checked I am lying the book says in a scribble new clutch solid flywheel at 193 thou back in feb 2015.

If it's got a solid flywheel and still making those noises, I'd be well worried. :(

Lord Knobrot
That's painful
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Chug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

It sounds more like top end noise than bottom end to me, but its hard to tell without being right in front of the engine, it could be from gearbox/clutch

In the second video, What are you doing to make the noise change?
Are you depressing the clutch peddle?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mad Husky » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm

The startup noise sounds like front top, tappet, lifter if I had to guess but it could also be timing chain me suspects as the noise goes as the engine warms up. But have also heard it could be an injector. The other noise oh dear, oh dear oh my pocket we got a lovely dry day today up here in sunny Wales and yes it was sunny. Crawled under the van as the mud that is my garden has dried up a bit went looking for the gearbox fill port and everything I have read has said it was on the left hand side of the box it's not it's by the output shaft end and there was no oil coming out (excuse me while i go cry) I think i definitely do also have a problem with the clutch, going to try topping the gearbox oil up tomorrow if it's dry. And yes in the second one I am depressing the clutch pedal.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mad Husky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Crawled under today dropped what remained of the gearbox oil no metal bits umm but only 3/4 of a ltr came out, did manage eventually to locate the proper filler port hidden behind the slave cylinder topped it up with about 1.5 ltr's does this sound about right? as my local motor factors reckoned on it being 2.2ltrs cleaned up where i think the leak is coming from we shall see if it is indeed coming from there. Then started the motor and went through the gears very sticky to start with then loosened right off and slid in lovely road test pending.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mad Husky » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 am

Went to go out this morning 4 dogs loaded mountain bikes ready for training pulled off the garden almighty bang, jumped out oh that's just great part of the double leaf spring snapped just what i needed anyway took the van down the road still making noises but not as bad so guess gearbox has seen better days all gears select lovely up and down van now not going anywhere until i can get some funds for repairs.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mad Husky » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Just an up date yesterday managed to get under the van no rain so here goes 1hr later half stripped today went back under another hour and gearbox is loose and I can see the clutch new solid flywheel new clutch, thrust bearing is rattling. But and there is always a but can't remove the box just can't undo the front subframe nuts broke a skt trying so question is will i get enough clearance by removing the steering rack think this is the only way to go.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions