*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Best place to connect to ignition feed on Mk8?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Best place to connect to ignition feed on Mk8?

Postby chuffstix » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi,

I'm about to buy a CTEK D250SA for the electrical installation in a camper conversion in a Mk8.

The installation requires that I connect one wire to the 'Ignition signal, +15 clamp (DIN 72552)' (see page 5 here: https://www.roadpro.co.uk/userfiles/PDF ... -UK-EN.pdf) in addition to the connection to the positive terminal on the starter battery (due to smart alternator apparently).

Anyone know where the best place to tap into the ignition feed would be on the Mk8, and the best method to actually do it?
chuffstix
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Best place to connect to ignition feed on Mk8?

Postby ake » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 pm

go onto www.etis.ford.com and download the bemm for your vehicle, it details where to find the relevant electrical connections
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby chuffstix » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 pm

I've got the BEMM; there are so many references to ignition feeds and ignition switches and relays and so on.

This is clearly the most relevant bit:
If a positive (+12V) engine run signal is required, it can be done by using the switched ground to control an ignition fed relay, to give this output.
Ignition
Pin 4 - Ignition signal is protected by a 10A fuse. It is +12V active at ignition positions: Accessory (1) and Run (2). It is not active at Ignition OFF (0) or Crank (3). Whilst it can drive equipment
directly it is recommended to use this feed to control a converter fitted relay, especially for high current applications.

The pin 4 it mentions is under the driver's seat on the vehicle interface connector.

Honestly this manual scares me a bit! So much complexity designed in.

What is the switched ground mentioned above? Can I just take a feed off this pin 4? Is there an easier way to do it without taking the seat off? I'm a bit bewildered. Still haven't found a reverse feed to wire my camera up to in the front of the vehicle yet either!
chuffstix
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pm

They can be a bit strange, most of the bodywork wiring is connected through the BCM, (Body Control Module) and not just normal wiring as in the old days. All powertrain (engine/gearbox and ancillaries) wiring is controlled by the PCM, (Powertrain Control Module)...so breaking into the wiring isn't as easy as it may seem, basically everything is interconnected.

For my Mk7 reversing camera, I just plumbed it into the reverse light in one of the rear clusters, works fine.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chuffstix » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:35 pm

FWIW, I used the vehicle interface connector under the driver's seat (it's there on all models of Mk 8). Pin 4 is the ignition signal, gives out 12v when ignition is on in any position.
chuffstix
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:41 pm

On my mk8 Minibus I have just converted to a campervan for charging the leisure battery’s I’ve used this Sterling 'Pro Batt Ultra' Battery-To-Battery Charger - 12V/12V 30A"
Price: £173.45 not cheap but easy to fit b2b no ignition feed needed as for reverseing camera feed i will used a feed off the wireing to a reverseing bleeper that had been fitted by previous owner all they had done was to solder into the reverseing light wireing this set up had no switch so came on every time I engaged reverse gear all I’ve done at the moment is run a wire to the front of the van with a switch to earth so I can turn it off so not to wake up next door when moving van at night
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby chuffstix » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:12 am

dumper wrote:On my mk8 Minibus I have just converted to a campervan for charging the leisure battery’s I’ve used this Sterling 'Pro Batt Ultra' Battery-To-Battery Charger - 12V/12V 30A"
Price: £173.45 not cheap but easy to fit b2b no ignition feed needed as for reverseing camera feed i will used a feed off the wireing to a reverseing bleeper that had been fitted by previous owner all they had done was to solder into the reverseing light wireing this set up had no switch so came on every time I engaged reverse gear all I’ve done at the moment is run a wire to the front of the van with a switch to earth so I can turn it off so not to wake up next door when moving van at night

How are you finding the Sterling B2B charger? Is it ass effective as they claim? Have you wired it directly to the starter battery under the seat? I've been thinking about the Sterling which I've heard good things about, but worry that they void the warranty as far as the electrical system is concerned. My warranty only lasts til May though...
chuffstix
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:23 pm

It seems to be ok the fan tends to run for 2to3 mins after engine turned off I have connected it to the starter battery 12 v planet said any when I asked them I asked sterling about unit been in a cupboard will it effect it and they said it would be ok if it gets to hot it just shuts down till it cool,s off I am away in van at the moment when I get home I will put a vent in cupboard door
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dublina » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:59 pm

dumper wrote:
On my mk8 Minibus I have just converted to a campervan for charging the leisure battery’s I’ve used this Sterling 'Pro Batt Ultra' Battery-To-Battery Charger - 12V/12V 30A"

Price: £173.45 not cheap but easy to fit b2b no ignition feed needed

Hi Dumper,

Actually I believe you are wrong in this assessment. The Sterling B2B when used with a, "Smart Altenator" which uses Regenerative braking requires an ignition feed.

See below from the installation instructions.

"3) Regenerative braking Ignition feed activation.
(with low voltage 12.2V auto stop system). This
mode is essentially identical to the function above
(ignition feed). The only difference is it allows the input
voltage to be as low as 12.2V to activate the charger
dublina

Return to Technical Problems & Questions