*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hi / Low Side PSI for Air Conditioning on Duratorq 2.4 TD?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Hi / Low Side PSI for Air Conditioning on Duratorq 2.4 TD?

Postby Duratorq » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:58 am

Hi all,

So go gently :? but this is actually about a Ford Duratorq 2.4 TD I4 in a London Taxi TX2 (I think it's the same motor that's in a Transit Mk6?) and the taxi forum is slower than the M25 on a bank holiday weekend.

I'm trying to find out what the High Side and Low side pressures are for the air conditioning refrigerant? It's not in the workshop manual and I can't find anything online.

Anyone know what should be specified for these engines?
Duratorq

Re: Hi / Low Side PSI for Air Conditioning on Duratorq 2.4 T

Postby Duratorq » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 pm

Anyone? :(
Duratorq

Postby wojciech » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Duratorq wrote:Anyone? :(

it depends about outside temperature.
In 20 C degrees:
With working compressor LS 1,0 -3,5 - bar (14.5 - 50,7 PSI) , HS 14-18 bar (203 - 261 PSI)
Stuck compressor 2 - 5 bar ( 29 - 72,5 PSI)
It is typical pressure for AC with flow nozzle (without expansion valve and compressor with constant swept capacity)).
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Duratorq » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm in a hot climate so summer here is 35c and winter never really goes below 8c.

With "working compressor" do you mean the levels while the engine/compressor is running? And "stuck" means engine/compressor off?

Any chance you could explain what the last sentence means as it flew right over my head?
Duratorq

Postby wojciech » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Duratorq wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm in a hot climate so summer here is 35c and winter never really goes below 8c.

With "working compressor" do you mean the levels while the engine/compressor is running? And "stuck" means engine/compressor off?

Any chance you could explain what the last sentence means as it flew right over my head?

Ok, my English is poor... :oops: Especially technical English it is for me terra incognita.
So:
"With working compressor" it means AC switch is on and AC works. At the same time compressor starts and stops in appropriate periods.
"Stuck compressor" it means AC switch is off and AC doesn't work a couple of minutes (minimum 10-15 minutes or more). It is time, that pressure on LS and HS should be the same on both sides.

-------------------------------------------
"It is typical pressure for AC with flow nozzle (without expansion valve )".

Are two basic AC types: with expansion valve (most popular in cars) and with flow nozzle (this one is in Transit MK6).

"(and compressor with constant swept capacity)".

Are two basic AC compressor types:
- variable displacement volume compressor, it works whole time if AC is on, so pressure changes are small,
- constant displacement volume compressor, it works and stops in short periods, so pressure jumps down and high much more. This second one is in Mk6 AC.

-------------------------------------
While very high outside temperature (+35Cdeg.), pressure on HS is also higher - it can be 18 - 25 bar (261 - 360 PSI).
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions