*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Mk 7 starting problems?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit Mk 7 starting problems?

Postby dj_phazer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 pm

I bought a 2007 (56 plate) Transit MK 7 swb. After 3 months the starter motor stopped working. I replaced the starter motor and all was ok for about 2 weeks. It then would sometimes take 2 or 3 goes to get it to start up and the issue has only got worse. I spoke to a mechanic on the phone and he advised that the issue could be with my flywheel. However after sending him a photo of inside the starter motor he felt that this was not the problem.

The transit is struggling to start sometimes.

Its hard to explain but I cannot find any consistant reasons for the problem.

Sometimes in the morning it will take up to 15-20 goes for it to start. It cranks every time but will not actually start but eventually always does, however sometimes in the morning it will start first time.

I am a plumber and use my van in and around town making lots of stops and jobs and plumber merchants etc, like I say I cannot determine consistent reason. Throughout the day sometimes the van will start first time and sometimes it takes many attempts.

I finally got a mobile mechanic out and he plugged the computer in, he said it was showing some electrical faults and that he was unable to clear them.

He then said he checked all of the fuses in the fusebox next to the ECU and that none were blown. He said he pushed them in and wiggled them about and he said that the van started 1st time over 6 tries (I am not sure if this a coincidence).

He said he wasn't sure if this solved the problem but that after playing with the fuses his computer would allow him to clear the faults.
A few hours later the problem is back.

Has anyone had this problem? Does the fuse problems sound right? Could it be anything else? Please please help as this issue is driving me made and I'm worried that I wont be able to get to work soon.

I live in Croydon if anyone can recommend someone local
dj_phazer

Re: Transit Mk 7 starting problems?

Postby andz327 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 pm

dj_phazer wrote:I bought a 2007 (56 plate) Transit MK 7 swb. After 3 months the starter motor stopped working. I replaced the starter motor and all was ok for about 2 weeks. It then would sometimes take 2 or 3 goes to get it to start up and the issue has only got worse. I spoke to a mechanic on the phone and he advised that the issue could be with my flywheel. However after sending him a photo of inside the starter motor he felt that this was not the problem.

The transit is struggling to start sometimes.

Its hard to explain but I cannot find any consistant reasons for the problem.

Sometimes in the morning it will take up to 15-20 goes for it to start. It cranks every time but will not actually start but eventually always does, however sometimes in the morning it will start first time.

I am a plumber and use my van in and around town making lots of stops and jobs and plumber merchants etc, like I say I cannot determine consistent reason. Throughout the day sometimes the van will start first time and sometimes it takes many attempts.

I finally got a mobile mechanic out and he plugged the computer in, he said it was showing some electrical faults and that he was unable to clear them.

He then said he checked all of the fuses in the fusebox next to the ECU and that none were blown. He said he pushed them in and wiggled them about and he said that the van started 1st time over 6 tries (I am not sure if this a coincidence).

He said he wasn't sure if this solved the problem but that after playing with the fuses his computer would allow him to clear the faults.
A few hours later the problem is back.

Has anyone had this problem? Does the fuse problems sound right? Could it be anything else? Please please help as this issue is driving me made and I'm worried that I wont be able to get to work soon.

I live in Croydon if anyone can recommend someone local
Could be anything, not all mechanics gadgets pick all problems, do you know what he used ?? the cheapest to try first if not showing up anything is ignition switch (even out of Ford its less than £20) and a Proper Ford fuel filter
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions