*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk6 lack of power

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

mk6 lack of power

Postby jt87 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:50 pm

hello all im new here so go easy on me,
i have a mk6 t280 100hp and is lacking power, there is a bit of a back story with it so bare with me, i bought the van 6 months ago with a fuel pump module issue (the common P1564 and P1664 issue) so i removed the module, had it repaired and refitted it all was well for about 3 weeks then it started diesel knocking so i bought a new timing solenoid and fitted it, all was well again until the end of January, the van would always start no problem but sometimes it would be really low on power and sometimes it would be ok, checked faults and p1564 p1664 were back again, i decided to buy a used decoded pump as i needed the van back up and running asap, fitted the pump and had diesel knock double checked pump timing was good (which it was using timing pin in pump and flywheel) so swapped the timing solenoid over and ran ok, but it just doesn't have the power it used to have when it ran ok, for example it will rev to 4500rpm in 1st and second but from 3rd gear on wards it struggles to rev past 3000rpm, there are no fault codes logged it starts well cold or hot. i know that it obviously sounds like there is problem with the pump but was just looking to see any other suggestions before i buy another pump, suggestions where to buy the best priced recon pump also please

i have smoke tested for boost leaks- none found
i have checked the pump timing 3 times using the pin in the pump and flywheel
i have removed the egr valve checked it is closing properly-it is
no fault codes

the problem started since changing pump so im sure it has to be something to do with it (lack of fuel symptoms anyway).
im hoping someone can answer a couple of questions
1> are all the tddi pumps the same eg if if i fitted a 75hp to a 100hp engine?
2> is it worth changing the fuel quantity solenoid from my old pump?
any suggestions much appreciated, probably should have just put a recon pump on when it first started playing up!
MK6 T280 100
jt87

Re: mk6 lack of power

Postby knobby1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:44 am

Is it a VP30 or VP44 pump..?? I believe the higher ps engines had the VP44 pumps and vice-versa...someone who knows for sure should be along shortly.. :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:51 am

knobby1 wrote:Is it a VP30 or VP44 pump..?? I believe the higher ps engines had the VP44 pumps and vice-versa...someone who knows for sure should be along shortly.. :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

It should have a vp 30 :wink: Op have you changed the fuel filter :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jt87 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:06 am

Yeah it’s a vp30 and I have also changed the fuel filter since changing the pump
MK6 T280 100
jt87

Return to Technical Problems & Questions