*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oxygen sensors

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Oxygen sensors

Postby Reeferman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Good day one and all.

I have bought a ELM327 and used the Forscan to find out what is going on with the van. Cleared all the exsisting codes, many, and went for a drive, urban and motorway, then rechecked the codes. I have 1 P0171, system too lean bank one. One of the list possible faults is HO2S11 circuit, so I went out again and did a oscillascope record of both oxygen sensors. O2S11_V,volt and O2S12,volt. Very differant readings, O2S11 started off at 0.9 and, when starting the engine and then bounces between 0.04 and 0.75(ish) and O2S12 starts of at 0.0 and gradually increases to 0.9, almost following the water temp. I also had INJ_F, No fault throughout the trips. I cannot find a parameter that records the fuel pressure so I have to figure out how to check it, a book is arriving soon.
A question for you. What is the O2S graph supposed to look like please.
I can post the file if needed.
Thanks for any advice.
Transit Custom 2014 2.2 FWD fridge van
Reeferman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Oxygen sensors

Postby grogan197 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Sorry can't help with the o2 sensor. You might have more luck asking about it on the forscan forum as most transits will be diesel so no o2 sensor. Comparing the readings against other petrol fords is probably your best bet. Is the van logging any DTC's that makes you think the o2 sensor is at fault?

To get the fuel rail pressure go to the screen to select the PID's you want to monitor and from the module menu choose the 'all' option. (assuming that there is a PID for it on the petrol engine)
2006 MK6 2.0 125 TDCI - Luton Camper Conversion
2007 MK7 2.2 110 TDCI SWB

Ford Diagnostics
Where to buy an ELM327 and how to use with ForScan
grogan197
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Reeferman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Good day.
The only DTC was P0171, system too lean bank one and one of the suggested faults is HO2S11 circuit, which is why I went out again.
There are other possible fault but I thought In would check this one, and the injector one, because I could find the recordable option.
I will try and find a Galaxy site as they use the same engine and report back.
Thanks
Reeferman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madmart132 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi Reeferman the code that you are getting is one I constantly get as well , with mine ( I have 2x 2003 Petrols ) the code almost always appears when the engine is slightly off the Maximum mark on the Dipstick ? I have no idea why
Another easy check is to replace all of the vacuum pipes and check for air leaks into the engine by spraying easy start around the inlet manifold and all intake hose's idle control valve etc .
Your Oxygen sensors appear to be working fine although you do not say if they are Genuine ford or after market sensors ?
You dont seem to have had the van for long but have you managed to gather any fuel economy figures yet
Other than throwing a bottle of injector cleaner and spraying carb cleaner through the nlet manifold t is hard to advise you on where to go from here , I would honestly just take the code reader with you and delete the code whenever you have to .
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Reeferman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I have only had it a couple of weeks and the fuel economy is an unknown because the milage is intermitant, the gauges keep dying and comming back. I've done the take the dash out and clean the connector and PCB job, a bit better but not perfect by any stretch. I have fitted a new ICE with GPS so I am ok for speed just not on the trip. I also have to sort a small waterleak out that appears to be comming from the inlet manifold side so I will be taking a few bits off to have a look once the radiator pump gets here on tuesday or wednesday. It seems to drive ok so I am not too worried about it but I do try to get things operating correctly if I can.
I have a book coming, a Haynes galaxy one, so was going to have a look in there. I just wasn't sure about how the sensors were supposed to act on the graph.
Reeferman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions