*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion help

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion hel

Postby Mac1984 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:31 am

Thanks chuggy.

I will give that a shot at the weekend.
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Unfortunately I had no time yet to do the pump. However I did notice the following: if the engine does run for a while and I switch it off, the engine keeps running for a while before it switches off.

Almost like with the faulty epic esos. If I switch it on only for short time and then off, it stops immediately. The shutoff solenoid is brand new. Any ideas what that could be? It does not bother me as such, since the engine shuts off eventually, yet it does buffle me a bit?

Thanks for your time.
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 00353theking » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 pm

This will sort all issue out for you
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93732&start=15&hilit=0.68mm#p797964
00353theking
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks for the link.

I am bit resistant to use the dti, as I have not done this
Job before, but looks like I need to get into it eventually ;-)

Hopefully in the middle of the coming week I have some free evenings to finalize this Bosch conversion.

Thanks to everyone involved getting me as far as I did.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 am

Wow this smiley takes the smile out of my face at the pump.

I get about 21mpg out of the van. Can that be?
As mentioned before it is a high roof camper, but not a lot of weight in it, and the roof is quite "smooth", not a bulky alkoven thing.

My old banana van was around 36mpg.. never owned a TD before , only bananas , but can that be?

I don't see any signs of leakage anywhere. With the epic, it maybe returned 25mpg or so, I have done a few measurements before the conversion. But i am a metric man.. so before it took 10.4 liter per 100km, now I am sitting at 13l/100km...

No smoke at all, starts good, accelerating is ok. Can they really gulp so much? I was wondering if the injectors can play a role in this, as I don't know if they have ever been replaced before and they might be knackered??

I am still running on the 85 ps injectors btw.

Thanks for your help.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby joinerman » Sun May 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Brakes dragging ????????????
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks, I checked on that.

I don't notice any temperature rise around the brakes.
Did check after a drive today and I'm pretty sure there is
No problem there.

Maybe there is nothing wrong and this consumption is normal? Guess my expectations are all based on
Banana engined vans.. I would have expected a better performance but maybe I'm just unrealistic...
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby joinerman » Sun May 06, 2018 9:38 pm

Try knocking it into neutral & see how it coasts, i have a 98 turbo lwb with a roof rack & carry a bit of weight & always get around 33mpg.
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 pm

I’ve a chassis cab 2.5 TD and have a Bosch fitted and it isn’t easy on diesel :evil: it is in saying that over 3T all the time and I drive it gently never going over 50ish mph and it is averaging 21-24 mph or around 340 miles per tank full.
The Lucas epic will deliver better mpg and is also quieter but it’s a shame it gives so much trouble.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mac1984 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks for your input guys.

I guess the problem is mainly that i am spoiled from my previous banana vans. Had two swb and a lwb smiley in the past, and all would have been in the 30s with ease regarding the mpg. It was to be expected that an electronic
Injection would have a better fuel efficiency, but it is so expensive to fix..then the high roof..

I was just wondering if I can get data from similar vehicles,
For example high roof or Luton smileys with Bosch mods..

Just to see if the figures are the same.. but from what I am reading so far, I expect similar. I just wanted to make sure that there's nothing majorly wrong with my van, thats all.

If everybody else with bosched turbos have far better numbers, I would worry a lot more..

Thanks for everyone's help on this forum, it was a big support to get this mod done in the first place.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby joinerman » Mon May 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Forgot to add in my post above i have done the Bosch conversion on mine.
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi guys,

After a few hundred kilometres, I made an rather interesting
Observation. The first full tank after the Bosch Conversion went dry after just over 400km. I checked for leakage, didn't see any, fiddled a bit with the fueling, but did nothing more.

The filling after that, i got almost 600km out of it. I thought great, problem sorted now.

But it seems this actual tank will drain like the first one. 200km driven, and we are at 1/2 at the fuel gauge.

Again, I looked for leakage. And I found a bit of diesel this time, around one of the fittings connecting the injection lines to the pump. It was the smallest trace of fuel however, but I wiped it away, idled the engine and also let it run under high load for a while, but nothing came out there or anywhere else..

Maybe this is just a big lady with an even bigger attitude, I don't know..

Since the pump is basically fresh from an overhaul, I can't imagine it leaking anywhere apart from the connections?

I checked the fittings with a spanner, thought maybe one became loosen, but nothing like that.

how likely would be a microscopic crack in one of the lines? I can imagine going at motorway speed at higher pressure maybe gets it to start leaking?

I'm travelling max 3000rpm which equals 100kmh, sometimes 3500 for overtaking, but really necessary ;-)

If anybody has any experience with stuff like that, please share your wisdom..

Cheers
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby joinerman » Sun May 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Have you checked around the lift pump or are there any signs of dripping where it's parked overnight ?
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Small update: the first time ever I see getting black smoke when reving full throttle. Doesn't seem to be much, but it's there.

Never was the case before. I did play around with the fueling again, as my idle speed seem to vary despite me not touching anything related to it.

So I turned up the fueling a bit more, and now we have some black smoke. Maybe I take a look at the flying saucer when I get a chance
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks joinerman, no i did not notice any leakage on the ground at all, I check around the lift pump also when I have it running again.

Thanks for your reply.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions