*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion help

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion hel

Postby joinerman » Sun May 20, 2018 8:05 pm

If your getting black smoke you need to back off the fuel adjustment a bit, black smoke is unburnt fuel.
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Understood.

Currently the transit drives like this: not very great accelerating, but around the 2000rpm suddenly the turbo kicks in with loads of boost, it does a lot of hissing anyway and accelerate quite well unto 3000rpm. The initial take off is raher slow, I believe that is just the way my setup is at the moment.

To be honest, I'm less worried about performance then I am about fuel economy, so I happily knock off boost/acceleration when it helps the mpg.

It looks like I have more tweaking to do.

Thanks for everyone's help on this forum, it was a great support
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:00 am

For whatever reason I did not find the second attachment in my search.. very good help indeed. Let's see how we are getting on.

Ps the fuel adjustment screw: can this be taken out completely in order to clean the thread from the anti temper device? I believe I still have a bit of that crap stuck to the screw.

Biggest concern is that I can't move the idle adjustment at all, completely busted screw head and seems to be totally seized also.

But hey, the van is driving. Drinking like a Cadillac again, for whatever reason, but it's driving :-)

Thanks for your time and reply.
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby joinerman » Mon May 21, 2018 7:12 pm

I believe if you remove the adjustment screw it will let air into the system & you will have to bleed it up again, something in the depths of my experience is saying DON'T remove the screw, but can't remember what else could happen,
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:41 pm

My basic instinct tells me " don't remove the screw completly" also. :-)

Usually these kind of things don't end well. I will leave it for now. It seems the fuel gauge keeps steady now after being in free fall before. Maybe it's also the gauge acting up.

I can't find any major leakage at all, and the little amount of diesel I found under one of the high pressure fittings before, seems to be gone now as well.

I check everywhere these days, after a drive, with the engine running, etc. Nothing spotted yet .

Let's see how much miles I get out of this tank now, and then take it from there.

Thanks for the support and the links.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 am

Good morning Mac, you can remove the max fuel screw, it will lose a little fuel but its high up on the pump and no different than removing the return banjo, or the bleed nipple, or changing a fuel filter, the pump will fill with fuel on starting and push the air out the return.

I've also been having IP fun myself, I've swapped my IP twice in the last few weeks, I got a spare IP and fitted it recently but it wouldn't start, so I refitted my old one and I opened the spare up and cleaned everything and rebuilt it and fitted it again yesterday but it was still not starting so I pulled it off and refitted my old one and its back to the bench for another fiddle.

I'm thinking of getting a stand alone engine to make fitting and testing IP's easier.
I've also been trying to get hold of Andypdq as he is good with IP's and has built his own test rig for them.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi Chuggy,

Good to hear from you and thanks for your advice.

I am still thinking that the fuel gauge was acting up. I might be wrong. But if it is around 9l/100km again, maybe that is a normal enough value for a mechanical injection high roof van.. again I never got the epic under 10l.

It was odd that first the van was gulping 13l, then suddenly 9l, without doing anything to it.

I'd say the adjustment especially has a lot to do with experience also, and for doing the job for the first time ever, i suppose I can be happy enough with the result so far.

I check again on the next fuel stop and do my calculations, then we see where we stand.

I'd love a second engine also, to rebuild from scratch in the shed. That would be great learning. I'm thinking of getting a banana at some point, but no play money at the moment ;-)
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jim Archer » Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am

The initial flatspot sounds like a sticking torque piston or control pin.

The turbo on these won't produce boost without exhaust flow, and for that you need fuel.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Thank you all for your continued support in this matter.

Much appreciated.

When I have the feeling that the fuel consumption is stable,

I will try playing around with Different settings, but first I need to be sure that I'm not loosing fuel anywhere else..
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi guys,

Did a lot of driving around and the fuel consumption
Seems to be stable. I get 30mpg when taking it very easy.

However, I still have the impression that it smells very "diesely" when opening the bonnet and also when you are standing next to the parked van, now in this warm weather it seems to be very obvious.

But for the life of me I can't detect a leak anywhere.

However, I discovered a tiny little black puddle, right underneath the pump, in a little groove of the engine block.

Seems to be an oil leakage though. Not much, but I guess the engine is sweating oil in a few places. Nothing dramatic as far as I can tell..

I can't remember having this diesel smell in the past when near the engine. I am clearly missing something I think..

Has anybody advice on how to detect leakage on fuel lines?

I recently changed the fuel filter as well, the housing is dry, i did check multiple times, and the same was there before..

I'm running out of ideas /area to look for leakage..

Any advice appreciated
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby joinerman » Wed May 30, 2018 7:51 pm

If you remove the dipstick & smell the oil does it smell of diesel ?
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby twin wheel camper » Wed May 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Mac1984 wrote:Hi guys,

Did a lot of driving around and the fuel consumption
Seems to be stable. I get 30mpg when taking it very easy.

However, I still have the impression that it smells very "diesely" when opening the bonnet and also when you are standing next to the parked van, now in this warm weather it seems to be very obvious.

But for the life of me I can't detect a leak anywhere.

However, I discovered a tiny little black puddle, right underneath the pump, in a little groove of the engine block.

Seems to be an oil leakage though. Not much, but I guess the engine is sweating oil in a few places. Nothing dramatic as far as I can tell..

I can't remember having this diesel smell in the past when near the engine. I am clearly missing something I think..

Has anybody advice on how to detect leakage on fuel lines?

I recently changed the fuel filter as well, the housing is dry, i did check multiple times, and the same was there before..

I'm running out of ideas /area to look for leakage..

Any advice appreciated

If you can’t find any obvious diesel leaks then any not so easy to find leaks will have more or less no effect on mpg, any diesel leaks that will effect your mpg you will have no trouble finding them it will leave a puddle when you park up.
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mac1984 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:42 pm

Sounds plausible to me..

My concern was leakage only occuring on high rpm.

But it seams the mpg is pretty stable now, so I guess around 29/30 mpg is were i will be sitting at.

That's much better then what it was in the beginning anyway..
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wotisname » Tue May 17, 2022 12:30 pm

[quote="Chug"]Hello Mac

Max fuel/smoke adjustment
On the rear of the pump, (marked power adjustment screw in the pic above) partially hidden by the fuel lines, above the stop solenoid and usually with an anti-tamper cap is the max fuel adjustment screw.
Remove the anti tamper cap and loosen the 13mm lock nut, and turn the adjustment screw clockwise and re-tighten the locknut.
Give it full throttle and see how it smokes, but a quick road test to see how smokey it is under full throttle acceleration is best.
For additional fuel (and smoke) the screw may be turned further clockwise. Back it off to reduce smoke.
After adjusting this you may need to re-adjust the Smoke Adjustment Screw to reduce low speed smoke, and the idle screw or throttle linkage to correct the idle speed.

It says above to turn the screw clockwise, is this looking at the pump from the front ie. winding the screw out?
Wotisname
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions