*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion help

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion help

Postby Mac1984 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Hello Guys,

i just explain short and sweet:

I have bosch 145 pump installed, new belt, new waterpump..

The starter is cranking, but so far i did not manage to start...

12V is getting there, coming from the epic wire loom, i checked with multimeter..

ive checked on the injector lines, but so far no diesel is coming out there...

ive read here that a lot of cranking has to be done before the bosch pump comes to live??

Can some of the pros here can give me an indication of how long that usually can take??

or maybe the stop solenoid is not opening? Can that be functionchecked somehow??

it is quite awkward to get the stop solenoid out now with the pump in, so id like to make sure before i try anything more...

thanks for any advice
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: struggling with starting the latest Bosch conversion hel

Postby joinerman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Forget the epic loom it's not needed, just run a wire from the live side of the ignition to the back of the pump, make sure there's an inline fuse fitted
Have you cracked off each injector to bleed any air out of the system ?
joinerman
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:49 pm

thanks joinerman,

i used a live from the epic loom to feed to the solenoid. i removed the pin from the plug and connected it to the solenoid.

ive cracked off 3 injectors now asi have not reached the aft one, i have seen a few bubbles there, so there must be diesel coming, shutoff must be ok.

i am suspicious now if i have connected the epic lines from the injectors to the bosch pump wrong..? i understood the epic lines can be used for the bosch, if bent slightly.

i wonder if somebody has a picture what way they are lined up? ive used each line to the closest connector, 2 of them fitted easy and two required bending, but dear knows if i have done it right :roll:

thanks for any help
1996 2.5TD Bosch Mod, Bio degradable Body from factory but outlived its manufacturing plant.
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:41 pm

It can take a lot of cranking to get fuel through to the injectors,if the pump is empty, there should be bleed nipple on the left hand side of the pump looking from the front, crack that open first and when a you get a steady flow of fuel with no air close it again,then crack open the injecto nuts until you get regular squirts of fuel from them,

If the stop solenoid is faulty you can remove it and take out the spring and rubber plunger and refit the bare solenoid to the pump, but you will have to stall the engine to stop it once started until the stop solenoid is fixed.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:11 am

Chuggy,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I will try cranking again, need to support the battery though because it has gone down with all the attempts.

Other then keeping it up, could the timing prevent starting or any other settings? I've bolted the 145 pump on
"As is", set the pins, tried to start, then played around with the advancing but so far no outcome apart from an
Exhausted battery ;-)

I am still not sure about the high pressure lines and the way they are to be connected, I just can't imagine that I have to bend them so much to reach a different port? Will not the epic pump distribution be the same as the Bosch apart from a lot of electronic measurement?? I have read as much as possible but still I can't understand 100 percent as people seem to only bent the lines slightly, and thats what I had to do also do connect the 2 lines on the inner side of the pump, so the two lines that are next to the engine block.

I see there is still a lot to learn for me...

Thanks for any advice on this
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:45 am

If the pump flange was still fitted then thopefully the timing will be ok, the injector pipes need slight bending but should roughly line up where they are supposed to.

Have you tried a qick spray of 'Easy Start' into the air intake?
this will at least let you know if the engine will run and if its just a fuel supply/timing problem.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:54 pm

thanks for your help chuggy...

i have only played with the moving of the pump when loosening the 4 bolts, the hub i have not touched.

maybe it still is bleeding issue, i try the bleed vale at the side first, then loosening the injectors again and see if something happens...

Easy start is a good suggestion too,i dont have one, never needed in my life ;-)

i guess there is a time for everything, and its worth a try
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Once you have a steady flow of fuel from the bleed valve it shouldn't take much to get fuel up to the injectors as its under higher pressure.

Try a dribble of diesel into the inlet manifold if you haven't got any easy start
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:12 pm

it worked... she is running... happiest transit driver in the world today....

thanks so much for all the advices...

i opened the bleeding valve at the side, but it seems nothing came out there... i kept cranking, until i noticed the engine block getting a diesel shower...

tightended everything up again... started, it came to live but very bad...

advanced the pump fully, and it is running very nicely actually...

now its up to find a way to connect the accelerator pedal..

happy days, im really getting there
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Good news! once the pump is full of fuel and all the air is purged it makes all the difference :D
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:42 pm

so i see... cant believe how much fuel that thing actually holds...

i am struggling with the pedal now... i did not know the epic pedal has only 2 bolts to bolt on... the one i got from the scrappy has 3, and totally different locations...

crap, but i never checked before what the epic bracket was actually like... at least the other pedal was free :D :D

maybe from an older version??

i am trying to mod the epic pedal now so it holds the cable, im sure there must be a way to get this finished...
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:16 pm

im really desperate now...

the engine was running beautifully yesterday.. after a few hours i just tested it again, started immediately and smooth..

today after work, continuing on the project, hooked up all the belts (alternator, power steering) and thought lets give it a short spin..... nothing...

cranking like mad, with start pilot it comes to life for a second and then dies...

how can that be after it looked so well yesterday??

any advice/ideas please?? i was hoping to get to work myself tomorrow :-(
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:56 am

Sorry to hear you still have a problem Mac,

if you have started back from basics and checked the timing is still ok with locking pins fitted and you've bled from the bleed valve and injectors and got good fuel flow there and it's still not starting, then if you haven't already, I would splash out a fiver on a can of 'Easy Start'

at least if it fires up on easy start you will know its a fuelling problem, if it doesn't fire up on easy start then its something other than fuelling.

wishing you good luck in these freezing temps
Chug
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mac1984 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks chuggy,

I have start pilot at the ready and it kicks in immediately with a dose of that stuff...

So it must be a fuel Problem.. I initially thought I have two separate problems,

But maybe that's not the case...

Fuel seems to arrive at the injectors, but maybe it gets shut off again afterwards...

This is very frustrating.. if it was never running, it would not be as disappointing as having a perfect and smooth
Running engine one day and a stonedead one the next ...
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mac1984 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Ok here is what i have done so far... i am getting insane with this...

-Connected Shutoff solenoid directly to battery.. i hear the solenoid clicking if i connect it.

-Pump bleeding valve open..Diesel Comes out

-Injectors cracked open...Diesel comes out there too

Cranking like a maniac, nothing happens at all...

With Start Pilot it kicks in for a few seconds, then dies...

I am seriously at the end of my wisdom..

I am not at the stage yet getting a Renault Master tomorrow, but i am getting closer...

please help if possible
Mac1984
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions